88 carb conversion/ Da*# PO - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 carb conversion/ Da*# PO

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
sloopie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

88 carb conversion/ Da*# PO

I recently bought an 88 YJ with the weber carb conversion. It runs great and all but.....the wiring is a nightmare. Behind the radio is a bundle of wires that appear to have been cut with a chainsaw. The ECM is still in there too. I have done some rewire stuff. Mainly lighting issues and radios. My question is can I just remove the ECM and ignition control module? Also note the engine is a 4.0 out of a 95 Cherokee. I know I will need to remove the dash and take apart the wire loom. The PO used wire nuts on everything so that will be fixed while I am there. Got it for a good price though and now I know why.

sloopie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
sloopie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

BTW sorry if something similar has been posted but I am a dip stick and the search button laughs at me and calls me names.
Unread 02-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

google: nutter bypass.
after that you can remove the ecm. now its probably still controlling your ignition.
Unread 02-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
sloopie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry it does have the nutter bypass. Thanks though. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow
Unread 02-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloopie View Post
Sorry it does have the nutter bypass. Thanks though. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow
Be careful of the intake manifold electric heater. I took mine off. It's one of the two relays by the battery. someone told me it was for the AC so I took it out
Unread 02-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
sloopie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

OK thanks
Unread 02-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Keep the original intake manifold heater wiring, or wire up a manual switch for it. It'll help when the engine is cold. With the computer out of the picture, the computer no longer adjusts the timing to counter any detonation/pinging. However, you still need an ignition control module, whether it is OEM style, HEI style or an MSD module.

The computer can be removed. Because you are running a traditional carb now, you don't need any wiring that would have gone to the computer. Make sure the Nutter bypass has been done correctly. Once the nutter bypass has been done, if you feel like cleaning up the wiring, just pull that cut bundle of wires through the firewall into the engine bay. Open up the entire wiring harness to expose all the wires. Anything with a cut end that would have plugged into the computer can be cut out. Just trace that loose end wire to the other end and cut it off there. Tape off/seal any cut ends to avoid potential grounding problems.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
carb , ecm , wiring , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.