88/95 yj build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88/95 yj build

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 09-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

88/95 yj build

ok here's the story, in january i bought a 88 yj for $1200 from upstate NY, i drove the thing about 80 miles home to New Milford CT. it had the 4.2/POS Ba10 combo. i soon did the nutter bypass. i still could not drive this thing for a full week without problems. i believe it was a carb issue, but the wiring and smog system were hacked beyond reasonable repair also. in the begining of febuary the skid plate just about fell off on my way to work, the plate rotted around the mounting holes, and the transmission dropped about 8 inches( really funny thinking about it now but wasnt real fun at the time) so i stopped and tied the transmission up with a tow stap. after repairing the skid plate i tried to leave for work the next morning and CRUNCH there goes my tranny, i lost reverse. i pulled the drain plug and what im guessing is what was my reverse gear was stuck to it so i bought a AX15 and swapped it in. then i drove it a few weeks and was getting tired of fiddling with the carb every three days so i parked it. i figured i'd clean up the engine, wiring, throw a weber and a hei on there, maybe paint the thing up pretty and sell it. well the jeep thing got the best of me and a buddy of mine sold me his COMPLETE, RUNNING 95 yj for $250. it has a strong running 4.0 in it and an unmolested wiring harness. its got some body rot and the frame is shot. the initial idea was to just do a motor swap. well now my jeep is all torn apart, the tub is off the frame, ive decided not to use my tub. both tubs have same amount of rot but parts jeep has a nice dash and all the wiring intact. now i found out that my rear leaf springs are shot, the front eyelits are broke causing the rearend to shift forward and back which explains why the tires were rubbing the front of the flares. so yeah ive got myself into a big ole project here, im gonna stop boreing everyone with my blabbing now.

ive never posted pics before nor do i have enough posts i dont think so if someone would be so kind to click free these it'd be appretiated. heres a few if they work i'll post the rest

drain plug

theres alot more if these work

88yj2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
88yj2008
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i rebuilt the shock mounts so they wont rot out again, originally they had a big pocket that collects water, mud, rust etc.

parts jeep

4.0 POWER!

88yj2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.