88 or 93 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 or 93

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
Ranjo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

88 or 93

So I've had this YJ for about a month now. PO told me PO before him swapped in a 4.0 from a 93. I got to lookin and the doors had a different VIN from a 93. I am thinking maybe the guy swapped the VIN plate on the dash and my jeep is really a 93 and not a 88. I am replacing the slave cylinder this weekend. (lets p[lease not get into the whole swap for an external, yeah I know thats the way to go) My question is, is there anything I can look for to clue me in if my jeep is a 93 instead of an 88. I haven't done a title search or anything. I'm not even sure if I have the pukit tans or the AX15. No plate on the bottom. I should be able to tell better when I pull it. The 4.0 looks like it belongs in there. I would of thought there would be more wires out of place or what not swapping from a ...well I don't even know what it was swapped from. If it was the 2.5 I'd have more gear for my 33's, but the rear diff is painted so I cant tell what gear ratio I have, but it drives like a 3.07 since I never hit 5th gear on the interstate. Thanks for input!

Ranjo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
deathtrap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Doors get changed around and traded a lot on these things, I wouldn't use that as your only clue. Dose it have a clock in the dash? I believe early ones have them and 92 and up do not. I'm positive others can add to the list of differences.
deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
Ranjo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

no clock...i thought I remembered having a clock on a YJ I had several years ago. It was an 87. 1st clue=no clock....
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
p2555016zr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The doors and windshield frames are easily changed. My 94 has a plate on the firewall near the brake master cylinder. Yours should as well.
p2555016zr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #5
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What roll cage is in it? Sport cage (slant back) is 87-91, Family cage (square back) is 92-95.

There should also be a vin plate in the engine bay on the fire wall, see if that vin matches the one on the dash then look to see what year it says it is.
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #6
Ranjo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It has the family cage, which I was told was from the 93. Will look at plate in engine bay tomorrow. My concern now is I am putting in a slave cylinder this weekend, I ordered one for an 88 I am picking up tomorrow, it is a different part number than the one for the 93. Guess I need to find out if i have the pukit or the ax-15. Will the one for the pukit still work or will I have to reorder. This one thing I hate about not having a full history on a vehicle, but otherwise a great way to learn my jeep !
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:54 AM   #7
Ranjo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

OK. Couldn't wait. Just got home from work at 2 am. Vin under hood and dash vin match. I'm going with its an 88. Now just to find out if its an engine swap or engine and trans swap
Unread 06-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ruh roh, that is a bummer. mine is the same way. its all 87 except when you start buying alternators and water pumps. then its bring your part with you and pull a whole bunch down and match it up
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjo View Post
OK. Couldn't wait. Just got home from work at 2 am. Vin under hood and dash vin match. I'm going with its an 88. Now just to find out if its an engine swap or engine and trans swap
It is strange that he swapped the dash. A 1988 should have an analog clock as the center gauge, where the 93 would have the 4wd indicator light as the left gauge and replace the clock with another gauge.
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
Ranjo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

yeah idk what all was done, i think he had a 93 donor jeep and swapped a lot of cosmetic parts(doors, dash, roll bar, etc)I am hoping to find an ax-15 under there in the morning. . The gauges even light up blue at night, actually makes it easy to see them. I'm glad someone took the time to do some decent work on this YJ, but at the same time there is no record of what was actually done. I will have to figure it out as I mod and repair
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
Ranjo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Having trouble lining up engine and trans
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
Ranjo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Got it!
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
Ranjo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

3 master cylinders..last one was the 56 dollar one from Napa...and an internal slave cylinder... I have a happy 88 yj again...( and a happy me) . just hoping the advanced auto slave holds up.. if not I learned a lot but all is good right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.