88 5 Speed - Tranny Not Engaging After Clutch install (no clutch need to shift) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 5 Speed - Tranny Not Engaging After Clutch install (no clutch need to shift)

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 10-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
kgillette
1988 YJ Wrangler 

88 5 Speed - Tranny Not Engaging After Clutch install (no clutch need to shift)

First off I know I messed somthing up

What I did - Replace the clutch and related (slave, pressure plate, clutch disk, pilot bearing) and replaced the transfer-case with a new to me

Issue: I can shift with jeep running without pressing in the clutch. And I am unable to drive forward/reverse (even if I shift with clutch)

Soo any suggestions on what I could have messed up?

Unread 10-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
Jeepman89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had to bleed and bleed again. did you replace master cylinder too?
Jeepman89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
kgillette
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The master was replaced before the slave. if it wasnt bleed all the way, would that cause the no power to the tranny? It confuses me as to how I can have the engine running and not have to press the clutch in to shift between the gears, and even more so that when I shift nothing happens
Unread 10-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
AbbyNormalYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check that the transfer case is in 2H/ not neutral.
AbbyNormalYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
kgillette
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I did. I put it in 2h 4h and 4l, I got nothin. could the transfer case be bad? I was under the impression that if the transfer-case was bad i just wouldnt have any power to the wheels, it sounds to me like the issue is someplace in the tranny or just before it.

could it be an issue with the clutch disc or the pressure plate?
Unread 10-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
kgillette
1988 YJ Wrangler 

or for that matter the slave cylinder?
Unread 10-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #7
jeepman709
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Did you put the pressure plate in the correct way? It is stamped or marked on the side that should be facing toward the tranny.
jeepman709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
kgillette
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I took it all apart again. and it turns out the new to me t-case is busted... so I put my old one back on.

Now I cant shift though... It feels like I am 1/2 in neutral (i can only move a little sideways) and I can not move between the gears now, not even a budge. Any ideas on what would cause a once fully functional shifter to not work? It worked before I took off the transmission and replaced the t-case (which was working, only swapped because it was older), put it back together and then no shifter.
Unread 10-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Read this thread!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...hifter-885822/

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #10
kgillette
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I know i should have searched... Needless to say i was very frustrated. More so now because what a hassel the clutch install has turned into... think positive - i know alot more about my jeep now

thanks max
Unread 10-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgillette View Post
I know i should have searched... Needless to say i was very frustrated. More so now because what a hassel the clutch install has turned into... think positive - i know alot more about my jeep now

thanks max
You're welcome.

Hang tough, don't let it beat ya down!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #12
kgillette
1988 YJ Wrangler 

She keeps beatn but i keep beatn her back finally workin!

now its time to find some new shifter retainer clips, do a proper tune-up and put the inside back together
Unread 11-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgillette View Post
She keeps beatn but i keep beatn her back finally workin!

now its time to find some new shifter retainer clips, do a proper tune-up and put the inside back together
Eh don't worry about the shifter retainer clips... I drove my BA10/5 for a few months without it. I could rip it out of the transmission while driving

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.