88 4.2 YJ Ignition Module questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 4.2 YJ Ignition Module questions

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
snag
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got a pretty similar thing going on jeepjon. Im going to start working on it tommow. Ill post here the results

snag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #17
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJon15 View Post
But is the HEI alone gunna help if i dont upgrade everything else right away?
Yes, because you're getting rid of the failure prone ICM, you can update everything else later.....

Here's some help.... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/n...today-1217045/
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #18
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJon15 View Post
One more thing i thought of that may or may not be connected. Sometimes when i turn the key to start the jeep it seems like theres a power surge where it turns very slowly then speeds up and fires up. As its struggling my lights typically dim a bit then get full power back between engine turns. The starter is only about a year old, maybe a little less. Battery i think is from 04, but can a battery cause shut off problems? It does seem to die rather quickly when trying to get her started on bad days.
That is the classic symptom of bad battery cables. Either replace them or at least replace the ends. If they look original or over 10 years old, just replace them.

Grounding the ignition module like 4x said made a big difference in how mine ran.

I put a new cap, rotor and plug wires on mine when I bought it so put off the Team Rush upgrade for a long time, but it made a big difference too when I finally did it.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #19
wizekrakr

I once had very similar symptoms on a 76 CJ5. After the engine was warmed up if I hit a bump in the road it would die and not restart for 20 to 30 minutes. Took me forever to figure that one out but it turned out to be a bad connection in the wiring coming out of the distributor at the connection to the wiring harness. If it is nuttered, check all of your connections and especially connections affected by heat from the engine getting hot.

Just my 2 pennies.
Don
wizekrakr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.2 , ignition module , shut off , starting problems , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.