88 4.2 won't run - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 4.2 won't run

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #61
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That is the optimum size. People get the other sizes to work but most of the time they have flat spots or hesitation off the line

Unread 06-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #62
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Alright thanks.
Tyler980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #63
JeepingJustin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
That is the optimum size. People get the other sizes to work but most of the time they have flat spots or hesitation off the line
Took the words outta my mouth.
JeepingJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #64
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So do you guys think the reason my jeep will start some times, and not other times would be the carb? If I put a bit of carb cleaner in carb and start it up, sometimes it'll fire right up... other times it'll just kind of pop rev a bit and die. It has gas in it, and when it does start I usually can keep it running... I still have the stock carb, I haven't had the money to get the motorcraft yet.
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #65
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yes. mine used to do that with the weber 34 because the float would hang in the closed position so the bowl would be empty when i tried to start it. maybe yours does the same thing?
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #66
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I checked the float area, it always has fluid, but I also have another question about my tail lights/blinkers.... So when I have my lights on... the back end lights are on.... when I push brake, driveer side lights up the reverse light and turns off the brake light... passenger one works... but lights up both... blinker on right... blinks super slow... blinker on left just lights up front and in back lights up reverse light as well.
Unread 06-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #67
JeepingJustin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler980 View Post
I checked the float area, it always has fluid, but I also have another question about my tail lights/blinkers.... So when I have my lights on... the back end lights are on.... when I push brake, driveer side lights up the reverse light and turns off the brake light... passenger one works... but lights up both... blinker on right... blinks super slow... blinker on left just lights up front and in back lights up reverse light as well.
It might not have enough gas to keep it running. Float might get stuck when the bowl is full, not letting more gas in.
JeepingJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #68
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

For the lights, I would do both lights like this, open each rear light and clean each contact. Then find your ground wire and clean it and its post really well. I think the ground is going to be on the inside of the body, in the space behind the rear wheels. It sounds like you have a ground issue. You made sure the bulbs are good, right? If that doesn't do it, I think there is a LSD a ground connection by your ebrake so check that one and clean it also.
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #69
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I put new bulbs all around cause that was my first assumption. I'll check those. I was also told it could be a blinker motor or something like that? Fuse. I gotta fix my e brake as well. It won't lock on place.
Unread 06-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #70
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

No blinker motor, someone is messing with you
Unread 06-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #71
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

is there a fuse for the blinkers that could cause that? Also an update on jeep... I purchased a new fuel pump and put that in today... It starts a little bit easier, but it idles much more smooth... plus it actually starts. Still has misfires once in a while though... and I'm kind of leaning towards a carb swap still because I believe the carb is why it's having such a hard time to start up.
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #72
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Nah, the blinkers are off the same set up as the lights. Did grounds check out
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #73
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't checked them... I went out to try and take my cat off because my passenger side floor board gets hot after the motor warms up, so i think it may be clogged enough that the airs not getting through easy enough. But to get to the bolts on the backside I'm taking the skidplate off, which isn't being my friend right now.. so I will try to get it all the way off either tomorrow night or tuesday.
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:57 AM   #74
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

even with a cat that is flowing well, the floor board will still get hot. you need some bed liner like lizard skins or actually any type of liner that adds a little thickness to the floor board. maybe get a piece of metal and make a heat shield and mount it between the floor and the cat. all ours get hot too, though
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #75
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ahh okay.. I didn't think it'd get that hot though... can feel it through shoes, prob cook an egg on it. lol

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.