88 4.2 won't run - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 4.2 won't run

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #16
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Alright. Update on jeep. It idles at 800. Can hit throttle and stays running. Kind of sputters and pops. Still stalls when you stop. And thank you for the pictures. Helps a lot.

Tyler980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #17
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Also I notice you have one large belt. My jeep has two. One to alternator and a separate power steering belt. Though the belts seem to always flip flop ipside down and such.
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler980
Alright. Update on jeep. It idles at 800. Can hit throttle and stays running. Kind of sputters and pops. Still stalls when you stop. And thank you for the pictures. Helps a lot.
Have you tried replacing the plugs wires cap and rotor. ? Also sounds like a vacuum leak. I had the same issue until I fixed my vacuum leaks and did a tube up and adjusted the timing
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #19
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Mine came with factory ac so I have a serpentine belt. Everything else is the same, don't be worried about that.

I still say vacuum leak also but you are closer then before. What did you set your timing at now?
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #20
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I set it at 8 BTDC like it said when doing the nutter. The plugs, wires, cap and rotor are all newish. I did find that the vacuum going to the brake booster wasn't plugged anywhere, what would the hose go to? I plugged it for now, but haven't tried driving it, as a hole broke loose in my oil pan, am going to attempt to remove and replace that on tuesday, any advice on that would be awesome as well
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #21
lionsfand

I had the same issues that you are having. I ended up switching to the Weber carburetor after I did the nutter bypass and everything seems to be fine now. No more stalling and it idles around 800
lionsfand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #22
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

your brake booster line hooks to your intake. that will create a huge vacuum leak if it is not hooked up because you have a huge hole suck air around the carb. it should hook into a large fitting on the intake.

the belts flipping over means you need to check the alignment on your pulleys, if i remember right. i never had that one but i know people do get that trouble.
Unread 06-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #23
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Could you share a picture of where the brake booster hose goes?
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #24
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It's in the ones I posted. It's the big one in he shot from lower. Yours might hook into a tee by the firewall though
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #25
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The big hose from the booster is hooked up. But there is a smaller hose fr there that I had just plugged. But on a recent post I saw its supposed to t off. One going to a t that goes to distributor. And the other goes somewhere I'm not sure of.
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #26
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

http://s1129.photobucket.com/user/Ty...tml?sort=3&o=0
Theres the engine compartment for whoever asked me for the picture of it....
And this is the line I'm asking about that I plugged, wondering where it's supposed to actually go...
http://s1129.photobucket.com/user/Ty...tml?sort=3&o=1
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #27
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That one that you plugged is where I run my distributor and 4x4 actuator off. You have some hoses coming of the side of the carb, right? Make sure those are plugged, for now. I bet you just have a leak on a vacuum line or a small leak under the adapters under the carb. I had a few leaks in those places and just had to take the carb and adapters off and redo the gaskets and also put rtv between the adapters and the intake and between the two adapters. That finally fixed the little leaks there. Then I had to go buy about 12 feet of non fuel injection fuel line from the local auto parts place and replace my vacuum lines. That finally fixed all the leaks. Your vacuum lines will also go under to a switch on top of you t-case and from there to the actuator on your front axle and firewall. Plus, a vacuum line goes in to behind your dash board. To find out if your trouble is at your intake or at your lines, you can unhook all the little lines and plug the ports and then start the jeep. If it runs a lot better then you know it's somewhere in the distributor/4x4/dash vacuum system and then you just have to go from there.
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #28
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Alright thanks. Yeah there are some small ports on back of carb I need to plug. Do I need to plug the two big ones on too of carb towards the front that use to go down to canister? I plugged it at canister and just took out the big hose that went to those
Unread 06-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #29
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I would plug everything because something might be ported and only open when a certain amount of vacuum is hit or lost
Unread 06-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #30
JeepingJustin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The vauum port you have plugged in your pic is what I have to my dizzy. Also someone said check your adapter plates for leaks, I highly recommend that, that is where all my trouble was also. Sounds like the same problem you are having now.
JeepingJustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.