'88 4.2 Fuel filter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '88 4.2 Fuel filter

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 06-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

'88 4.2 Fuel filter

The fuel filter on my '88 4.2 is in the engine bay correct? Haynes says it is on the frame rail like Mean Max's write up in the FAQ but I didn't see it, unless i'm bind and it's not there (which is highly possible).

I'm trying to get rid of a stutter so I'm going for fuel first. Then I'll go for cap and wires because my plugs are fine.

Thanks for the help.

Michaelgoesrawr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

For the '88 4.2 you should see the fuel filter inline just ahead of the carb. It should have an input line on one side and two outputs on the other. One goes to the carb and the second is a return line. When you put in the new filter, make sure that the filter is positioned so that the return line is the top fitting.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtn8tr View Post
For the '88 4.2 you should see the fuel filter inline just ahead of the carb. It should have an input line on one side and two outputs on the other. One goes to the carb and the second is a return line. When you put in the new filter, make sure that the filter is positioned so that the return line is the top fitting.
Thanks. I've replaced it before, but I was reading though the book and found the other one and was real confused for a second.
Unread 06-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
The fuel filter on my '88 4.2 is in the engine bay correct? Haynes says it is on the frame rail like Mean Max's write up in the FAQ but I didn't see it, unless i'm bind and it's not there (which is highly possible).

I'm trying to get rid of a stutter so I'm going for fuel first. Then I'll go for cap and wires because my plugs are fine.

Thanks for the help.
I have the same manual and I know what you mean, but on that 4.2 the filter you are asking about is under the hood.
Unread 06-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post
... but on that 4.2 the filter you are asking about is under the hood.
Like I said Monkey...." just in front of the carb." Unless you run your carb attached to the gas tank. But then again Monkeys do strange things!

Unread 06-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Like I said Monkey...." just in front of the carb." Unless you run your carb attached to the gas tank. But then again Monkeys do strange things!
hey now! lol. you posted as I was I guess, no disrespect intended my friend.
Unread 06-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Be nice and I'll send you a banana!

Unread 06-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I picked one up but I haven't change it yet. It's strange. A few weeks ago it started stumbling through all of the gears but only up until 17+ hundred rpm. After that it was fine. Some days it does it horribly and others it accelerates great. As I was driving up to napa it did it but on the way home it was perfectly fine. I dunno. Seemed like a good place to start.
Unread 06-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked plug wires? How old are they? It could be ignition or fuel. It could be a sticking float, too.
if you have a plug wire that moves a little, it could be shorting at times which can cause it to be rough.

Unread 06-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtn8tr
Have you checked plug wires? How old are they? It could be ignition or fuel. It could be a sticking float, too.
if you have a plug wire that moves a little, it could be shorting at times which can cause it to be rough.
They are probably as old as the jeep. It sat for five years before I bought it so at least 7 years old. They don't move on the plugs but I didn't check the other end. I guess it wouldn't hurt to change them. When I do, do I get a new distributer and wires or just the wires?

I don't think it's the carb. We rebuilt it only a few months ago.
Unread 06-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #11
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would get the distributor cap, rotor, and wires. Actually, if you're going to do that...now would be a good time to do the Team Rush upgrade. Basically you take the old distributor cap off and replace it with a cap and rotor for a 1981 Ford F150 with the 300ci 6 cyl. You also change out the anemic stock coil...I replaced mine with an MSD Blaster2 that ran me $35 at O'reillys. You then get the wires for the same.

Unread 06-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would get the distributor cap, rotor, and wires. Actually, if you're going to do that...now would be a good time to do the Team Rush upgrade. Basically you take the old distributor cap off and replace it with a cap and rotor for a 1981 Ford F150 with the 300ci 6 cyl. You also change out the anemic stock coil...I replaced mine with an MSD Blaster2 that ran me $35 at O'reillys. You then get the wires for the same.
Do you happen to know if doing that is legal in CA? Obviously the fords have them, but there are so many regulations I'm not sure if it's okay. lol.

So I can pick all the stuff up new at a parts shop? Then gap the plugs at .40-.45. It's supposed to eliminate cross fire right? Any gains in performance?
Unread 06-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #13
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't look and see that you were in CA. I think that you can do the TeamRush but I know that you can't do the Nutter mod.
It seems to run smoother and revs higher and quicker. i don't know that you see any hp gain or MPG gain but it does seem to be smoother through the rpm range.

...and yes, you can go to any auto parts store for the parts.

Unread 06-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I didn't look and see that you were in CA. I think that you can do the TeamRush but I know that you can't do the Nutter mod.
It seems to run smoother and revs higher and quicker. i don't know that you see any hp gain or MPG gain but it does seem to be smoother through the rpm range.

...and yes, you can go to any auto parts store for the parts.
Thanks a lot. Aside from the stutter/stumble it goes through the rpms fine. I generally don't drive it above 3k anyway. Saves gas
Unread 06-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I don't normally go above 3k either but it goes through it faster.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.