'88 4.0 Sputtering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '88 4.0 Sputtering

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% off

Unread 12-30-2003, 10:54 PM   #1
jeepstercfla

'88 4.0 Sputtering

Hey,
Got a '88 4.0 with little of 100k miles on it. Recently its been sputtering. It only sputters under partial throttle or while cruising. It does not sputter at all when at WOT. My spark plugs were recently replaced before the sputtering started and they still appear to be brand new and squeeky clean, no deposits at all on any of the plugs. Recently I'd replaced the CPS, fuel pump, fuel filter, cap, and rotor. The plug wires appear to be fine and no arching. I can drive and drive and drive, the vehicle never stalls or anything, no backfiring, just misfiring. There is no method to its madness, sometimes it will misfire 2 times in 30 seconds, other times it will misfire 30-40 times in 30 seconds. No check engine light on. Any ideas before I gut the cat? Thanks.

jeepstercfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2004, 09:17 AM   #2
Renegade_Rick

Ummm maybe check your ground? Have the ECU checked out as well. The 4.0L had issues with piston slap untill 91'. The best thing would be to get a new 91+ jeep. I'm asuming that your talking about a cherokee. The 4.0l was not put into yj's untill 91. Befour that they used a horrable vershion of the 258 4.2L I6.

R

1999, Sport, 4-door, 4L-I6, AW4 auto, np231, 8.25 rear, dana 30 h-p.

BFG T/A KO P235 tires, KC 130w slimline lights, skid-row t-case skid more to come!
Renegade_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
1988comanche

I have an 88 4.0 as well mine does about the same thing only mine backfires when it sputters. It only does it at certain speeds or RPM's. We have went through every connection and ground, injectors, crank shaft sensor, TPS, EGR valve, EGR vacuum solenoid, checked the compression, new plugs, wires, distributor, rotor button and we can't find anything that has made any difference. My next move is the catalytic converter that seems to be the only other thing we can think to cause it. Good luck with yours.
1988comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

88 never came with the 4.0L. Is it modded with a replaced 4.0L? Does it have the howell setup? You need to fill out your profile. The CEL will not com on if it has been modded with the 4.0L but there are other ways to get the fault codes. Fill out the profile and we can see if we can help you out.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.