'87 YJ Starter Problems - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '87 YJ Starter Problems

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #16
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

What engine do you have? Check the casting number near the distributor. It will tell you the date of manufacture, and if it is a 258, 4.2, etc.

edit to add:

it is a stamped number on a pad.

Unread 04-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #17
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boit12
I slotted the bottom hole and shifted the starter, Did not help. I have taken the starter in and out so many time now the threads in Bell Housing are becoming wore out and worried I may not get starter bolts tight if I continue removing and replacing the starter. At this point I have decided to just run er the way it is. I am sure in time it will eventually wear the flywheel down enough the starter will no longer engage properly. I reckon I will deal with that when it happens. I very well may be back looking for V8 Motor and strong tranny so Thanks again for the help and chat with ya soon.... BB
Well damn sam, I don't know what to tell you.
What I had described worked for me and a number of other people.
I wish you luck and hope you can solve the problem.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 05:13 AM   #18
boit12
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It is a 258 in-line 6cyl. Motor.
boit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #19
JoeL76

Problems with 4.2 starter

Change the bending from a 9 teeth to a 10 teeth that will fix the problem.
JoeL76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #20
Renegad87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wrong year motor

I hope you have this figured out by now, but for the sake of helping someone else out with this.

You must not have an 87 motor. The main difference between an 87 inline 6 and the newer inline 6 flywheel is the distance between the flywheel and housing and not to mention the addition of the crankshaft position sensor teeth. If you use an 87 flywheel on a newer engine you will have this exact issue.

My personal experience was the other way around. I had an 87 engine with a newer flywheel. Luckily the crankshaft position teeth didn't cause an issue, but I had to shim the starter motor out to keep the bendix from constantly engaging the flywheel which results in a wonderful grinding noise and a broken starter. Took three shims to get it clear and as soon as my clutch goes so does that flywheel.

87s are oddballs, take nothing for granted.
Renegad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #21
rkcuscg

Tip! Stop messing around and get a mean green starter or a starter that you know hasn't been rebuilt. The problem is ****ty rebuilt garbage. Had Same problem. You will drive yourself crazy with this. Instead of a horrible grinding noise the mean green starter is music to my ears!!!
rkcuscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #22
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcuscg View Post
Tip! Stop messing around and get a mean green starter or a starter that you know hasn't been rebuilt. The problem is ****ty rebuilt garbage. Had Same problem. You will drive yourself crazy with this. Instead of a horrible grinding noise the mean green starter is music to my ears!!!
I'm seriously considering the Mean Green. I have gone through so many Autozone starters (to their credit, they give me replacements without question) but two of them now have had drives that went bad and started attacking the ring gear.

Then again last saturday I got another new Autozone, and as soon as the engine caught it made a horrible whine, as if the starter was still engaged. I took it right back and even though it of course tested ok on their machine. That replacement is now working but I simply don't trust them anymore. A 'free' replacement isn't free if it causes that major damage.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #23
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn View Post
I have had this same problem in the past.
Chewed up 2 different starters and flywheels.
Yes, the 87 starter is different.

Something you should try - loosen the mounting bolts just enough to make it able to just barely move. Before you tighten the bolts back up, give the starter a good shove up and at an angle towards the engine block. Hold it in place and tighten the bolts. Put some lockwashers on the bolts if you have them and give it another try.
This ^^ is what I had to do also. I was having the same issues as you and when through 3 myself. Good luck!

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
SH00T3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #24
mcarden
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hello All !

Not to beat a dead horse or anything but has ANYONE figured ANYTHING out here ?

I am having a similar problem, if not the same. I am on starter #4 and I have purchased every one from auto zone. I purchased a new flywheel from quadratec and installed it simultaneously with starter #3. After attempting to start it, I realized that I forgot to install the locator pins between the transmission bell-housing, and the engine. This could be your issue and might be worth investigating. There are two locator pins that look like small sockets that your main transmission bolts go through and are essentially, what place your transmission bell-housing relative to your engine.

But, the issue persists. I recently went to start it after sitting for a while, so it took a few cranks. The starter seemed to be engaging and disengaging properly which amazed me. But then, as soon as the engine decided to start I hard the starter cracking !

I am at a loss of ideas unless my bell-housing is bent which is my next move. Does anyone think I am on to something in regards to this happening only when the engine tries to start ?

Mike
mcarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #25
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Are you sure you have the stock trans in it? The right Ford starter?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #26
Renegad87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Mcarden
I'm not sure your problem is the same as this thread. Did this just start happening after you changed something or did this just come out of nowhere?

The big problem I encountered was an incorrect flywheel on my 87. It was an 88-95 flywheel and my 87 or CJ Ford style starter had a different engagement distance. I fixed my issue by purchasing a starter for a 90 yj which matched the flywheel.
Renegad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #27
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good call. You might want to start a new thread and refrence this thread.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #28
mcarden
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I feel like the issue was progressively getting worse from the day I bought the Jeep. This is why I thought It must have been a flywheel. I vividly remember my first purchase for my jeep was a new starter, so it must have had a problem from the beginning.

The flywheel I bought: http://www.quadratec.com/products/52027_000.htm
The description says its for 82-87 CJ & YJ with 4.2L

And I bought a starter for an 87 YJ from autozone. I have read on other forums that these starters might be bad news. I find it hard to believe with as many starters as I have bought that they have all been bad.

Another note I have read on forums regard the number of teeth on the starter gear is wrong. Can anyone credit or discredit this ? Does the number of teeth on the starter gear change through the years ?

Renegad87 - Does the 90 starter have the solenoid mounted on it? If so, what sort of adjustments did you have to make to wire it up correctly?
mcarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #29
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not clear what you mean by starter 'cracking'

If you found that the starter did not disengage after the engine started... I had that exact same problem with a brand new AZ starter. Took it back, they exchanged it and the replacement released correctly.

There is some kind of a mismatch problem. A couple of years I had the trans (auto) rebuilt and the starter made a horrible racket (but not gear grinding) when cranking. I replaced the starter and the noise was the same, so the trans shop dropped the trans and said they had used a 'wrong part'. Unfortunately since I did not get to speak to the shop directly, I never found out what it was, but after they did that the noise vanished.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #30
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarden View Post
Renegad87 - Does the 90 starter have the solenoid mounted on it? If so, what sort of adjustments did you have to make to wire it up correctly?
From earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299 View Post
'88+ Mitsubishi starter:
You can see that the later starter has the solenoid mounted to the starter, whereas the earlier one is just the motor, no solenoid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299 View Post
If you try the Mitsubishi starter with the solenoid on it, put your heavy cable on the large terminal, and a smaller jumper wire from that large terminal to the smaller one. I would use something like 12-gauge for the jumper.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.