'87 YJ Starter Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '87 YJ Starter Problems

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
boit12
1987 YJ Wrangler 

'87 YJ Starter Problems

I'm working on 1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ with a 4.2 in-line 6cyl. motor. I replaced the Flywheel and Starter and still have a problem. When I initiate the starter it engages as if the starter does not line up with flywheel (terrible metal to grinding). It is chewing up the new flywheel and have tried three different starters all of the same measurements. All the Mechanics shops, dealers, and auto parts stores say this is proper flywheel and proper starter for this motor. Don't know what else I can try. Battery fully charged and starter engaging fully. Shimming will not work as starter if anything need to engage more. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it...

boit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
Douglas S.

Are you sure it is the right starter? 87's have a separate solenoid (mounted on firewall) and a ford-style starter.

They are the only year of YJ that uses this setup, it was carried over from CJ 258's.
Unread 03-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The 87 YJ also shares the flywheel part number with 82-86 CJs. The starter and flywheel must match, the "throw" distance of the 82-87 starter is different than the 88-90.

For example at NAPA the 88-90 flywheel is NNC 501004 and the 87 is NNC 501001

check your part numbers again
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have had this same problem in the past.
Chewed up 2 different starters and flywheels.
Yes, the 87 starter is different.

Something you should try - loosen the mounting bolts just enough to make it able to just barely move. Before you tighten the bolts back up, give the starter a good shove up and at an angle towards the engine block. Hold it in place and tighten the bolts. Put some lockwashers on the bolts if you have them and give it another try.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
Dado99TJ

1999 TJ Wrangler 

This sounds like a problem I had with my 87 YJ. The starter bendix wasn't close enough to the flywheel and the teeth weren't fully meshing when you'd try to start it. Just the tips of the teeth on both the flywheel and bendix were engaging.

I slotted the bottom bolt hole with a die grinder to allow the starter to get closer to the flywheel and haven't had a problem with it since.

Nightcrew member #331

Blue Jeep Club member #332
Dado99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 06:07 AM   #6
boit12
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I will look into the Ford starter with separate solenoid. It is possible because I was informed this was a 'new' motor. Not sure if that meant rebuilt, or new from possibly different year. Grinding the bolt hole would not position starter any closer to flywheel. Shaving little from face of starter may help. Thanks again for the help
Unread 03-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

When I had to replace mine I bought a CJ starter, no problems! if you ask for a YJ starter most likely you get the one with the internal solenoid... Better ask for a CJ one

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

When I had the 4.2 in my '87 it used the same Ford starter that used in the CJs:

... instead of the '88+ Mitsubishi starter:

You can see that the later starter has the solenoid mounted to the starter, whereas the earlier one is just the motor, no solenoid. As mentioned, the solenoid should be mounted on the firewall for an '87. Hopefully these pictures might help you figure out what you have and/or what you need.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boit12
Grinding the bolt hole would not position starter any closer to flywheel. Shaving little from face of starter may help. Thanks again for the help
You're thinking in the wrong direction.
If you shaved the face it would move horizontally.
If you elongated the hole to a short slot it would get closer in a vertical direction. It's this vertical direction that is your issue.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299 View Post
When I had the 4.2 in my '87 it used the same Ford starter that used in the CJs:

... instead of the '88+ Mitsubishi starter:

You can see that the later starter has the solenoid mounted to the starter, whereas the earlier one is just the motor, no solenoid. As mentioned, the solenoid should be mounted on the firewall for an '87. Hopefully these pictures might help you figure out what you have and/or what you need.
I have the same prob and I use the top starter as seen there... and my flywheel isn't missing any teeth... but it does and cracks at the bolt holes w/ a little rust heres pics

[COLOR="Lime"][B]My 1987 Jeep Wrangler Build..[/B][/COLOR]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z-o-r-v-87yj-build-slow-978747/[/url]
SkullTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
boit12
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Don't Know

Boys I don't know. I Do have the Starter w/ no solenoid mounted to it, The one that is for previous years CJ's and still having problems. I looked into mutiple different year 4.2 6 cyl. motors and researched what starter they call out and most call for this starter. Thought maybe this jeep has 4.2 from another jeep however I replaced the flywheel with a 4.2 6cyl. for a 1987 jeep wrangler. Don't know what else to try, there are only two starters for the most part that they call for on a 4.2 and it is the one I have and the one w/ solenoid mounted directly to it. The one w/ solenoid on it has a shorter nose therefore have a hard time believing this will work. Trial and ilimination though so I will give it a try. Thing is I will have to figure out how to wire this properly. ????
Unread 04-03-2010, 08:28 AM   #12
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boit12 View Post
Boys I don't know. I Do have the Starter w/ no solenoid mounted to it, The one that is for previous years CJ's and still having problems. I looked into mutiple different year 4.2 6 cyl. motors and researched what starter they call out and most call for this starter. Thought maybe this jeep has 4.2 from another jeep however I replaced the flywheel with a 4.2 6cyl. for a 1987 jeep wrangler. Don't know what else to try, there are only two starters for the most part that they call for on a 4.2 and it is the one I have and the one w/ solenoid mounted directly to it. The one w/ solenoid on it has a shorter nose therefore have a hard time believing this will work. Trial and ilimination though so I will give it a try. Thing is I will have to figure out how to wire this properly. ????
If you try the Mitsubishi starter with the solenoid on it, put your heavy cable on the large terminal, and a smaller jumper wire from that large terminal to the smaller one. I would use something like 12-gauge for the jumper.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm gonna try to change my Flywheel out in a week or two and see if that helps but nothing has worked yet

[COLOR="Lime"][B]My 1987 Jeep Wrangler Build..[/B][/COLOR]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z-o-r-v-87yj-build-slow-978747/[/url]
SkullTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #14
boit12
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Trying

Still haven't got this issue resolved. Slotted the bottom bolt hole on starter to allow slight rotation of starter. I am hoping this will do the trick.
Unread 04-28-2010, 07:49 AM   #15
boit12
1987 YJ Wrangler 

No Help

I slotted the bottom hole and shifted the starter, Did not help. I have taken the starter in and out so many time now the threads in Bell Housing are becoming wore out and worried I may not get starter bolts tight if I continue removing and replacing the starter. At this point I have decided to just run er the way it is. I am sure in time it will eventually wear the flywheel down enough the starter will no longer engage properly. I reckon I will deal with that when it happens. I very well may be back looking for V8 Motor and strong tranny so Thanks again for the help and chat with ya soon.... BB

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.