87 YJ serpentine belt 258 WITHOUT AC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 87 YJ serpentine belt 258 WITHOUT AC

This is a shout out to all INTERNATIONAL Customers! Yes weEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 11-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

87 YJ serpentine belt 258 WITHOUT AC

Anyone have the Dayco part number for a serpentine belt for a 258 without AC? I am pulling the AC out of my Jeep and the parts guys at Adv Auto don't show a belt for 258 without AC? Everything they show for the 87 is with AC. So I am hoping to get the part number to be able to buy the belt I need. Thanks in advance!

jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

1st) They're stupid. The Goodyear Gatorback belt # is 4060817 they should be able to cross reference that. While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at CSK Auto You just need an 81" belt, but it won't work without.......

2nd) Do you have one of these???

You're going to need an idler.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
1st) They're stupid. The Goodyear Gatorback belt # is 4060817 they should be able to cross reference that. While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at CSK Auto You just need an 81" belt, but it won't work without.......

2nd) Do you have one of these???

You're going to need an idler.
No I do not have an idler. Where could I pick up one of those?
Unread 11-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Take a piece of rope run it around all you pulleys and measure it for your self. If I remember correct the belt is a 6 rib belt. Once you have your measurement say that it's 79" take that and subtract about an 1/2 to and inch off. which will be 780 = 78" or 785 = 78 1/2". then ask for the belt by measurement.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Take a piece of rope run it around all you pulleys and measure it for your self. If I remember correct the belt is a 6 rib belt. Once you have your measurement say that it's 79" take that and subtract about an 1/2 to and inch off. which will be 780 = 78" or 785 = 78 1/2". then ask for the belt by measurement.
OK, but where can I pick up one of the idlers at?
Unread 11-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

dodger,
Are you saying to simply use a shorter belt and bypass the AC pulley completely or use an AC eliminator pulley?
Unread 11-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

bypass the A/C idler it's not in the equation.
Unread 11-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
bypass the A/C idler it's not in the equation.
Any gotchas associated with completely bypassing the ac idler and using a shorter belt?
Unread 11-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have serious doubts that you'll be able to get the belt tight enough without the idler there. That's a long straight stretch with really no where to tighten it from, I mean the alternator basically moves up and down to tighten not side to side. Look at the pic I posted again.

I know that J&W Jeeps will have that bracket and the idler, but I'd check with a local salvage first.
Unread 11-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have serious doubts that you'll be able to get the belt tight enough without the idler there. That's a long straight stretch with really no where to tighten it from, I mean the alternator basically moves up and down to tighten not side to side. Look at the pic I posted again.

I know that J&W Jeeps will have that bracket and the idler, but I'd check with a local salvage first.
Does it not swing from the engine out? or maybe a better way of saying this that the adjustment is on the bottom of Alt. , pivoting from the top mounting point? If so then you will be fine with the idler pulley.
Unread 11-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Does it not swing from the engine out? or maybe a better way of saying this that the adjustment is on the bottom of Alt. , pivoting from the top mounting point? If so then you will be fine with the idler pulley.
Well sorta.... I does technically move side to side in the slider portion, but because of wehre the pivot is, it causes the alternator to basically move up and down. The actual pivot point is the hole below the square hole (red arrow)

Here's another pic from the top without the idler. You can see where one of the adjustment sliders are.

Here's some of the brackets just sitting on the floor in their loose orientation, you can see the pivot point better here.

FWIW, when I did my OBA I got rid of the way it pivots in stock form moving the pivot point to the upper left area of the alt looking from the front making it swing more side to side with the slider at the bottom.
Unread 11-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #12
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So it does pivot away from the engine as not as great that some do. So if the OP takes a measurement with it as close to the engine on the top then they will have enough movement to tighten up a belt then. That is one of the nice things about serpentine belts they do not stretch that much.
Unread 11-14-2009, 11:22 PM   #13
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

JW rocks! I bought alot of stuff from them for my CJ7, guess it is time to find the email addy for em in address book!
Unread 09-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #14
rdrjunkie1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone here have a diagram for the pictured serpentine belt? I just replaced my water pump and am afraid that I may have routed something wrong. I took it out for a quick 2-3 minute drive probably ran it for about 8 minutes total and by the time I hit the house again it was already above 210 if not 220 and I don't remember that temp being normal for that short a period.
rdrjunkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #15
erekv2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for reviving this old thread but does anyone have any information on where I may be able to find this setup pully/with the base bracket, I am in need to this setup as my lower bracket is broken? Any Ideas are welcome.
screen-shot-2012-11-06-9.32.19-am.jpg  
erekv2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.