87 YJ revs fine but won't go over 10mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 87 YJ revs fine but won't go over 10mph

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-24-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

87 YJ revs fine but won't go over 10mph

Woke up this morning to take friend to work. Jeep gets there fine. Leaving there I stop at a stop sign, when I start to go again the jeep bogs down. If it's not under load I can rev it normally, but once it's under load it starts bogging and won't go over 10mph. Any ideas? I'm sitting in the kroger parking lot now. Lol

Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Also, when I give it gas I can hear the gas being given I think. It's a hissing sound and then the jeep will slowly catch. Maybe distributor?
Unread 11-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Open the hood, and look for a vacuum line that has disconnected. Or, make sure someone has not put it in 4Lo !
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #4
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

No vac leaks. What I meant by hissing is I can hear it when I give it gas and the jeep won't "go".
Unread 11-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

....which is what a vacuum leak sounds like. Suspect: brake booster? If you had fuel spraying enough to hear it I think you would have a fire on your hands.
Unread 11-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I made it back. I let the jeep sit there for a bit and then let it idle a little bit more after I got gas. It went back to normal. The only other thing I saw was one of the vac lines was barely hanging on, but it was still fairly on. I pushed it back up. So maybe that was it. Thanks for the quick response guys, this is why I still use this forum.
Unread 11-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Check your catalytic converter. Same thing happened to me, it would rev fine until it was under load. Get under there and smack the cat and see if it rattles.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #8
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Try the fuel filter, a partially clogged one might only give enough gas for 10mph.
Unread 11-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownwpa View Post
Try the fuel filter, a partially clogged one might only give enough gas for 10mph.
I'm with Shadownwpa, change the fuel filter if you haven't done so in a while. If it keeps acting up, add a vacuum gauge which can tell you if you have a clogged exhaust or vacuum leak.
mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.