87 yj problems getting into gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 87 yj problems getting into gear

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
shawnyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

87 yj problems getting into gear

1987 yj wrangler 4.2 manual tranny.
I initially stared having an issue with shifting a month ago it was somtimes hard to get into 1st and grinding reverse.. it got worse to the point I stared checking out the problem. hydraulic clutch fluid was low so i filled it and it was fine. then it kept draining on ground and in turn i wouldnt be able to get into gear... I realized then it was slave cylinder was leaking. so i had it replaced and the hydraulic master cylinder replaced... I also had a clutch kit put in(it was needed) the flywheel turned and a new starter ring put on flywheel.... then I get it back from shop and I immediately have trouble with getting the tranny into gears intermittently(meaning it works OK 10% of the time) and grinds reverse to the point i cannot get it into gear.. when jeep is off shifts into any gear without a problem. Sometimes it uses up hydraulic fluid(goes on ground while runnning and trying to put into gear) other times it stays full. i can sometimes go into 1st from a stop easily and every third time it wont work. if im upshifting to second from 1st i have to go to third gear because it wont go into second. Ive had trouble getting it out of gear. it feels like the clutch isnt fully disengaging. I dont know where to go from here. any ideas what to do first? then if it doesnt work what next and so on.....? if u need any other info i will supply it.

shawnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Master going bad?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...cement-728960/

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
Weavis
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I say if you had someone else "fix" the slave and master already...take it back to them and have them make it right. It sounds like something may not have been seated properly if you are still losing fluid or you might have gotten a bad part. I replaced my slave not too long ago and still got no pressure on the clutch. Come to find out, it was a bad replacement part and I had to go through it all over again! Good luck!
Unread 05-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
shawnyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I get clutch pressure on the pedal, but it seems like i need to push it further then the floor allows to disengage clutch. And as far as taking it back to have them fix it.... they went through one slave already.. they tore it apart and put new one in and backed it out and the new slave went right away.. I was covered by warranty on part but what would cause that? so after they put new one in again could it be bad again from ****ty install?
Unread 05-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

either that or the parts themselves are notorious for being bad. If it was fixed by them recently and its still under warranty... then its their problem to fix.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
CSCmrwizard
1982 CJ5 

it sounds like air in the line or slave try pumping clutch for a bit the try it
82 CJ5
CSCmrwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 01:54 AM   #7
shawnyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

OK just found out my tranny is an AX15... its an 87 and it should have the BA10/5. So My question would be since it has obviously had a tranny swap, is there a difference in clutch kits between the two? I bought the kit for an 87 but since it isnt the same could this be the issue/ or it is the issue?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.