87 YJ Mods and Upgrades - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-21-2014, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
nealio_42
1987 YJ Wrangler 

87 YJ Mods and Upgrades

I have an 87 YJ with a 2.5 inch lift and 32 inch tires. Automatic with the 4.2 inline six. 110K original miles. This is my Sunday driver. I only drive it on sunny days when I can put the top down and a dirt road is as close to off-roading as I get. I'd like some ideas on what to do to the suspension to get a bit of a smoother ride out of it. I've read about removing the track and sway bars. What about changing out the leafs, springs or shocks? Any ideas or lessons learned are appreciated. Oh, and I live in the mountains of North Carolina. I attended a Bronco Rally in nearby Townsend, TN last year. Is there a similar rally for Jeeps in the southeast?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-21-2014, 08:48 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Remove front and rear track bars
Removing sway bar is optional, see how you like driving without it.
Old Man Emu springs and shocks
New greaseable shackle bushings
Replace body mount bushings if they are old/original

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-21-2014, 10:38 AM
superj

the old man emu springs make it ride as nice as stock, maybe a little nicer. i have them on my 87 with the same engine/trans you have. i have no trac bars though, that was the biggest improvement in the ride of this jeep. throw those things away i bet you will love driving your jeep a lot more then now.

i kept my sway bar because it is very very windy where i live but if its not like that there, you could probably get away with not having it, just low it down in the turns and mountain passes

I don't feel like working on anything at this time so i sold my yj.

post #4 of 14 Old 03-21-2014, 11:25 AM
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Removing the swaybar won't make the ride any smoother. It will make it better offroad but harder to handle on curvy roads.

You can get quick disconnects and see how you like it, but it will slow you down on curvy roads and the locals will be backing up behind you.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-21-2014, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
nealio_42
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the suggestions. Do you guys recommend one thread over another referring to removing the track bars?
post #6 of 14 Old 03-21-2014, 11:46 AM
DustyGeneral
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You really wont need a thread to follow on removing the trac bars. It's pretty much unbolt from the frame and unbolt from the axle on the front and the rear. You may need a torch or PB blaster depending on how rusty the bolts are.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-21-2014, 11:49 AM
DustyGeneral
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Though if you go to the FAQ section and click on various links you can get to the following thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...e-well-953630/

If you find that heat, PB Blaster, and a ratchet won't bring the trac bar off you can always just cut it out. Up to you.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-21-2014, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
nealio_42
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Great. Thanks!
post #9 of 14 Old 03-21-2014, 02:27 PM
jeepguy85
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealio_42 View Post
I have an 87 YJ with a 2.5 inch lift and 32 inch tires. Automatic with the 4.2 inline six. 110K original miles. This is my Sunday driver. I only drive it on sunny days when I can put the top down and a dirt road is as close to off-roading as I get. I'd like some ideas on what to do to the suspension to get a bit of a smoother ride out of it. I've read about removing the track and sway bars. What about changing out the leafs, springs or shocks? Any ideas or lessons learned are appreciated. Oh, and I live in the mountains of North Carolina. I attended a Bronco Rally in nearby Townsend, TN last year. Is there a similar rally for Jeeps in the southeast?

Thanks!
I am relatively close to you, east Tennessee. As far as rallies in this area, the closest places I can think of would be the fall crawl at Harlan and they may have one at Windrock above Knoxville, but I am not 100% sure on that.

You can probably find some info here: http://www.harlancountytrails.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exparrot View Post
"When Chuck Norris drives, Chuck Norris controls the radio..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-24-2014, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
nealio_42
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The track bars came off today. I honestly can't tell a whole lot of difference but I never took it out on the highway. Just drove it around town a bit. While I was underneath it I realized the exhaust hangers were disintegrated and the tail pipe was no longer connected to the muffler. Got that patched up. I think I'm going to save up for those old man emu shocks. Is that something I can do myself or do you need a lift and any special tools?
post #11 of 14 Old 03-24-2014, 07:03 PM
DustyGeneral
1999 XJ Cherokee 

No special tools needed (unless you don't own a jack and jack stands). BTW if you haven't already swing by auto zone, advance auto, etc. and pick yourself up a Haynes manual. You'll never regret it.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-25-2014, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
nealio_42
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have one. I just don't have any experience on suspensions. I'm more of an electrical guy. I'll take a look at the manual.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-25-2014, 05:04 PM
DustyGeneral
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealio_42 View Post
I have one. I just don't have any experience on suspensions. I'm more of an electrical guy. I'll take a look at the manual.
It's all good. That's what the forum is for, helping each other out.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-25-2014, 06:53 PM
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealio_42
The track bars came off today. I honestly can't tell a whole lot of difference but I never took it out on the highway. Just drove it around town a bit. While I was underneath it I realized the exhaust hangers were disintegrated and the tail pipe was no longer connected to the muffler. Got that patched up. I think I'm going to save up for those old man emu shocks. Is that something I can do myself or do you need a lift and any special tools?

Springs and shocks*

Just sticking shocks on it won't be the end all be all.

Adopt your pets. Don't shop for them.

Tags
mod , rally , suspension , upgrade , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.