'87 YJ Hardtop Latch Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '87 YJ Hardtop Latch Removal

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

'87 YJ Hardtop Latch Removal

I am trying to take apart the rear glass latch section and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the latch assembly apart? Here is a picture:

Need to try and get this apart as one of the screws is rusted and broke off. I can not find any set screw or other means to separate the "T" handle (outside) from the backing plate on the inside???

Thanks for any help.

1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

mine rusted in half so i cannot help on this part
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Myjeep1986
1986 CJ7 

Handle

I believe you need to drill out the 2 screws on the outside and the T handle will pull out and expose interior mounting plate.
Myjeep1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had to drill the two studs out and then soak the mechanism in pb and beat it with a hammer to get the square shaft out
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.