87 YJ Fuel Gauge Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 87 YJ Fuel Gauge Issue

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 02-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Mules50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

87 YJ Fuel Gauge Issue

I have an 87 YJ wrangler 4.2L I6. I am thinking that something is wrong with my fuel gauge or fuel sending unit.

My symptoms are:
Fuel gauge is not very responsive. It either sits at full or drops down to empty. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Some days I will fire it up and it will read full, others empty.

I was just wondering what I could do to test to see wether or not it is the gauge or something more serious. And by serious, more complicated and time consuming to fix.

IMO, I do not believe it is the gauge. If the gauge was broken, I believe that it wouldn't move at all. But I am not familiar with any gauges, so just looking for some opinions on what it actually broken or ways I can troubleshoot to figure out what is broken.

Any thoughts/opinions/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mules50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
lesterss

Yjs have notoriously bad sending units that read gas level in tank and send that info to the guage, I use my trip milage and fill up as appropriate.

Or you can drop the tank spend a few hundred and get a new one.
lesterss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Mules50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thats what I was thinking too. But the only requirement you need to follow the odometer is to have the odometer working correctly, which mine doesn't . I was thinking of just getting a Jerry Can and just getting some gas every couple of days or so.

If it was just the gauge, then I might replace but seeing as its probably the sending unit, inside the tank, then I prob not gonna worry bought it.
Mules50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

whats the matter with the odometer?

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules50 View Post
Thats what I was thinking too. But the only requirement you need to follow the odometer is to have the odometer working correctly, which mine doesn't . I was thinking of just getting a Jerry Can and just getting some gas every couple of days or so.

If it was just the gauge, then I might replace but seeing as its probably the sending unit, inside the tank, then I prob not gonna worry bought it.
From what I've read recently, the things to do (simplest to most difficult) are:
1. Clean up the contacts at the gauge.
2. Confirm that the harness leading to the tank is connected above the tank (you may need to drop the tank to do so).
3. Sending unit - you've addressed that you're "not gonna worry" so I won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
My YJ is so excited it's leaking oil!
SpideYJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It may be the ground connection on top of the fuel pickup/level sensor assembly.
The ground is connected to a small metal tab.
Sand and mud builds up on top of the tank which cuases the tab to rust off cuasing teh level sensor to lose it's ground..

Could be the problem...
I've run into this issue on 2 different YJ's. Had to carefully tack weld the tab back on.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
krahnj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

my problem is my odometer and spedo plus gas gauge doesnt work. gas gauge just stopped working the other day when i went wheeling. pretty sure it was because i hit a stump on the gas tank skid. usually when i hit bumps in the road it starts working again but this time its stuck at empty. i need ideas on what i can do to fix.
krahnj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
daviddoughty1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Might check the connection between tub harness and fuel tank {left rear behind wheel well} Mine was loose at the plug and acted weird too
daviddoughty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Odod and speedo is either your cable or the gear on the tcase, its all mechanical. The fuel sender unit x2 with kloppk. Drop the tank and check the conector on the top. It sounds like its bad. You can short the sender wire to the guage to ground and if it goes to empty then it's time to drop the tank or cut the access hole to get at it.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.