87 YJ crank but wont start? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 87 YJ crank but wont start?

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 06-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
chosos
1987 YJ Wrangler 

87 YJ crank but wont start?

87 YJ - 4.2 stock carb. nuttered.

I had it running last weekend, and now it wont start. It will crank all day but won't start. I can smell fuel so I know its getting fuel. Also tried starting fluid - no go.

Tried a new ignition coil - no go.

There's isn't a whole lot electrical on this thing to go wrong.

this is my first non EFI car, so excuse my ignorance. Im just looking for some common things to ccheck

chosos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
rlongsr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If the distributor wasn't changed, it does have a computer that runs it. Check to see if your getting spark.
rlongsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
chosos
1987 YJ Wrangler 

it seems that I am not getting spark. I'm getting spark at the coil, but not at the plugs.

I have a multimeter, inline spark tester, and a test light. I'm willing to tear into it, but need some suggestions.

Today I replaced the distributor cap, the rotor, and the plugs - since the old cap had some fouling and its a fairly cheap part.

The ignition coil is also new.
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
rlongsr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

There is a pick up in the distributor, check all the connections to make sure the are intact and not rusted out. I think advance or autozone can check those, not sure.
Unread 06-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
chosos
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlongsr View Post
There is a pick up in the distributor, check all the connections to make sure the are intact and not rusted out. I think advance or autozone can check those, not sure.
a pickup in the distributor? can you elaborate any more than that? if i google those terms, I get all sorts of info for pickup truck distributors. :-)
Unread 06-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
rlongsr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure exactly what it is called. But take of the cap and rotor, and it is under there. Has wires on both sides of it.
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
chosos
1987 YJ Wrangler 

one more question:

the more i read on this, the more is sounds like it could be the distributor or the ignition control module. I soldered in the nutter mod, so I'm not thinking its a bad connection, but the module could have gone bad.

I also get some hesitation under hard acceleration, but I haven't gotten around to looking into that issue yet. One thing at a time.

Is there any way for me to test the ICM or the distributor to rule out one or the other?

Granted... it could also be something else entirely, but i figure i'll start here.
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can take the ICM to a good parts store. They have testers for it at Autozone. You are getting spark at the coil then it is probably not the coil, its the pickup in the distributor or...you did the nutter did you ground the distributor? It's a side note on the writeup if you read it all the way through.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

BTW; what city are you in in the Big Mit?
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
chosos
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty much right where 696 and 94 meet up in St. Clair Shores
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
chosos
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You can take the ICM to a good parts store. They have testers for it at Autozone. You are getting spark at the coil then it is probably not the coil, its the pickup in the distributor or...you did the nutter did you ground the distributor? It's a side note on the writeup if you read it all the way through.
I was pretty sure I did. The jeep started after the nutter job was done. Would it be an all or nothing type deal or would it potentially have this issue?

I know the PO really mangled a lot of the wiring and vacuum lines. I had a hell of a time trying to figure out what was going on in there when I did the nutter job.
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
kp954
1993 XJ Cherokee 

its either fuel or spark. youll figure it out. GL
kp954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
chosos
1987 YJ Wrangler 

well, im not getting spark out of the distributor, so i've nailed it down to something in that area.

just dont know if its an ICM, distributor, or something else. was running 4 days ago.
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If the distributor is not grounded, do it. The ICM is putting out spark; then the next thing after the ground is the pickup in the distributor.
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
chosos
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Update: problem fixed. It was the ignition control module. Starts right up now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.