JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   87 YJ crank but wont start? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/87-yj-crank-but-wont-start-1378167/)

chosos 06-06-2012 07:15 PM

87 YJ crank but wont start?

87 YJ - 4.2 stock carb. nuttered.

I had it running last weekend, and now it wont start. It will crank all day but won't start. I can smell fuel so I know its getting fuel. Also tried starting fluid - no go.

Tried a new ignition coil - no go.

There's isn't a whole lot electrical on this thing to go wrong.

this is my first non EFI car, so excuse my ignorance. Im just looking for some common things to ccheck

rlongsr 06-06-2012 07:18 PM

If the distributor wasn't changed, it does have a computer that runs it. Check to see if your getting spark.

chosos 06-07-2012 07:33 PM

it seems that I am not getting spark. I'm getting spark at the coil, but not at the plugs.

I have a multimeter, inline spark tester, and a test light. I'm willing to tear into it, but need some suggestions.

Today I replaced the distributor cap, the rotor, and the plugs - since the old cap had some fouling and its a fairly cheap part.

The ignition coil is also new.

rlongsr 06-07-2012 08:52 PM

There is a pick up in the distributor, check all the connections to make sure the are intact and not rusted out. I think advance or autozone can check those, not sure.

chosos 06-07-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlongsr (Post 13688956)
There is a pick up in the distributor, check all the connections to make sure the are intact and not rusted out. I think advance or autozone can check those, not sure.

a pickup in the distributor? can you elaborate any more than that? if i google those terms, I get all sorts of info for pickup truck distributors. :-)

rlongsr 06-07-2012 09:23 PM

Not sure exactly what it is called. But take of the cap and rotor, and it is under there. Has wires on both sides of it.

chosos 06-08-2012 07:01 AM

one more question:

the more i read on this, the more is sounds like it could be the distributor or the ignition control module. I soldered in the nutter mod, so I'm not thinking its a bad connection, but the module could have gone bad.

I also get some hesitation under hard acceleration, but I haven't gotten around to looking into that issue yet. One thing at a time.

Is there any way for me to test the ICM or the distributor to rule out one or the other?

Granted... it could also be something else entirely, but i figure i'll start here.

Que89YJ 06-08-2012 08:02 AM

You can take the ICM to a good parts store. They have testers for it at Autozone. You are getting spark at the coil then it is probably not the coil, its the pickup in the distributor or...you did the nutter did you ground the distributor? It's a side note on the writeup if you read it all the way through.

Que89YJ 06-08-2012 08:03 AM

BTW; what city are you in in the Big Mit?

chosos 06-08-2012 08:06 AM

I'm pretty much right where 696 and 94 meet up in St. Clair Shores

chosos 06-08-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Que89YJ (Post 13690439)
You can take the ICM to a good parts store. They have testers for it at Autozone. You are getting spark at the coil then it is probably not the coil, its the pickup in the distributor or...you did the nutter did you ground the distributor? It's a side note on the writeup if you read it all the way through.

I was pretty sure I did. The jeep started after the nutter job was done. Would it be an all or nothing type deal or would it potentially have this issue?

I know the PO really mangled a lot of the wiring and vacuum lines. I had a hell of a time trying to figure out what was going on in there when I did the nutter job.

kp954 06-08-2012 08:17 AM

its either fuel or spark. youll figure it out. GL

chosos 06-08-2012 08:27 AM

well, im not getting spark out of the distributor, so i've nailed it down to something in that area.

just dont know if its an ICM, distributor, or something else. was running 4 days ago.

Que89YJ 06-08-2012 09:07 AM

If the distributor is not grounded, do it. The ICM is putting out spark; then the next thing after the ground is the pickup in the distributor.

chosos 06-08-2012 09:27 AM

Update: problem fixed. It was the ignition control module. Starts right up now.

The time now is 08:22 PM.