87 yj brakes intermittently dragging/seizing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 87 yj brakes intermittently dragging/seizing

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
pmm_lord_raven

87 yj brakes intermittently dragging/seizing

Hey,
I have an 87 yj. I had issues with not being able to drive much over 40mph. I took the front brakes apart and my rotors were warped and pads cracked to hell. I replaced the calipers, and pads, and rotors.
It was still dragging. I went to replace the hoses, and couldn't get them off the lines. So I replaced the brake lines and hoses to both sides. I flushed the fluid but the problem still happens, sometimes when I hit the brakes too many times, it will go from normal to rock hard. Other times right away. But here is the weird part...they were dragging wicked bad today, and when I pulled over I went over the rumble strips the brake pedal went from rock hard to normal, and they stopped dragging. I relubed the caliper pins, and drove it around. It was fine for a little and then same story, dragging again. I went and hit a few potholes and still dragging. Back to rumble strips and they released.
The proportioning valve was replaced 2 years ago along with the rear wheel cylinders, lines, and shoes. I have no freakin clue what my problem is. Any suggestions?

pmm_lord_raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

The fact that they go from rock hard to normal and were dragging I would say the brake booster has failed.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
pmm_lord_raven

I should clarify, when the pedal went normal the brakes did stop dragging. And when the pedal was hard, it didn't take much effort to slow down and stop. I disconnected the vacuum line to the booster, and my brakes still drag. But I did notice something.
20130825_194207.jpg   20130825_214248.jpg  

Last edited by pmm_lord_raven; 08-25-2013 at 08:09 PM..
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like the master is leaking.
'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
ReDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
pmm_lord_raven

Would that cause the brakes to drag?
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:32 AM   #6
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

change both the booster and the master cyl.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmm_lord_raven View Post
Would that cause the brakes to drag?
if theres trash in there that causes the piston to hang up, yea. fluid is turning black cause its absorbing LOTS of moisture because its leaking out which means moisture is getting IN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
change both the booster and the master cyl.
I agree
'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
ReDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

if the piston in the master can't fully return it will accumulate pressure and start dragging. The same thing happens if the push rod from the booster is adjusted too long.

good time for a dual diaphragm upgrade
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.