87 YJ Brake lights only work when break pressed to floor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 87 YJ Brake lights only work when break pressed to floor

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap Skid

Unread 04-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
jimmers87jeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

87 YJ Brake lights only work when break pressed to floor

Just got an 87 YJ Wrangler... The break lights are working, but you really have to press the break pedal hard to get them to come on. When slowing down and you want to press the break, but not skid to a stop, the lights don't let others know your slowing down. Is there a way to adjust when the lights activate when you press the break pedal?
Additionally, I've already replaced the break switch (worst job ever, I think I broke my back getting under the dash, etc...) This did not help.
I've also replaced both break light assemblies and the bulbs are all working. At least they were.... Next topic... Why are my taillights no longer working when then the head lights are on? Again, the break lights work when pressed hard.

jimmers87jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

The rear bulbs are a two filament bulb, you may have messed that up when replacing them, just double check that. The brake light switch can be adjusted as far as I know.
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
jimmers87jeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Both filaments are good. When replacing the tail lights, I bought the entire housing with bulbs, etc... They worked during the original installation. I just checked the bulbs again, and all looks good.
Unread 04-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers87jeep View Post
Just got an 87 YJ Wrangler... The break lights are working, but you really have to press the break pedal hard to get them to come on. When slowing down and you want to press the break, but not skid to a stop, the lights don't let others know your slowing down. Is there a way to adjust when the lights activate when you press the break pedal?
Additionally, I've already replaced the break switch (worst job ever, I think I broke my back getting under the dash, etc...) This did not help.
I've also replaced both break light assemblies and the bulbs are all working. At least they were.... Next topic... Why are my taillights no longer working when then the head lights are on? Again, the break lights work when pressed hard.

sorry to have to tell you this, but it sounds like the switch isnt "set" properly, and pushed in too far on the mount, i dont know if you have the push in type? or threaded? either one, go under there again and pull it out towards the steering wheel a little at a time till the lights work as normal..
Important Notice:... DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET PERFORMANCE, RISING COST OF ELECTRICITY, GAS AND OIL... THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.... WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE............ Regards:... THE GOVERNMENT
ghost183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers87jeep View Post
Both filaments are good. When replacing the tail lights, I bought the entire housing with bulbs, etc... They worked during the original installation. I just checked the bulbs again, and all looks good.
Sounds like a bad ground on the housings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost183 View Post
sorry to have to tell you this, but it sounds like the switch isnt "set" properly, and pushed in too far on the mount, i dont know if you have the push in type? or threaded? either one, go under there again and pull it out towards the steering wheel a little at a time till the lights work as normal..
My thoughts as well. The switch is not adjusted correctly.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
jimmers87jeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ughhh... Will try to adjust (I'd call it the push in type)... When installing it the first time, It didn't seem like there was an adjustment. The switch just fit place.
I'll check the ground too...
Thanks
Unread 04-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When you adjust that switch, have someone watching the lights. You should only have to move the pedal lever ~ 1/8" or so before the light comes on.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
jimmers87jeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, so I found the point at which the switch needs to be in order for the tail lights to work properly. However a few speed bumps or even a few series of pressing the break pedal, the switch shifts out of position. I wonder what "locks" it into place. I think I'm missing something, but when I did the inital removal of the switch I didn't lose anything.... Anyone have a diagram? Is there a locking washer or something?
Unread 04-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
buickgnx88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

According to my Chiltons, the switch for the 87-90 is non-adjustable and is attached to the bracket with a bolt.

The switch for the 91-95 is apparently adjustable and is attached to to the bracket by threading it in or just pushing it in. You should take a picture so we can see what you're working with.
buickgnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 04:32 AM   #10
raceman
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just replaced mine on a 88 No adjustment
raceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 04:49 AM   #11
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Have you replaced the switch? If it's an old switch it could just be dirty and not releasing as it should. If the switch is moving on you you could use a piece of wood and a hose clamp to steady it from moving. The wood is for proper alignment.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #12
jimmers87jeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The switch is new and from what I've read, is not adjustable (I can rotate it, but as I've said, it just falls back into place). I like the idea of a piece of wood, but I am apposed to the idea because there should be a way to make this work without "jury-rigging" it. Can the brake push rod be adjusted to come out further thru the firewall? This, I think, would allow the switch to make connection before applying maximum pressure to the break pedal....

If all else fails, the wood idea may have to do, ughhh
Unread 04-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #13
buickgnx88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pictures man, we need pics!
buickgnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #14
jimmers87jeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I fixed it... It's non-adjustable so I fabricated a piece of metal that looks like this.... [
a C-channel that was placed between the break switch and the break rod that goes thru the firewall.
I figured using metal (wood my deteriorate) and I used a C-channel so there would be no way it could slip out. It's about a 1/16" thick. Works perfectly. Thanks for the advice and help. If anyone has this problem, this solution works!!!
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #15
iblee75
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I know I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, but figure it's better than starting a new one. I'm having the same problem, even put in a new switch, but mine comes on the off then on again. I get the jist of what you're saying but could you show a picture of what you did to solve this problem?
iblee75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.