JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   87 YJ Brake lights only work when break pressed to floor (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/87-yj-brake-lights-only-work-when-break-pressed-floor-761440/)

jimmers87jeep 04-26-2009 07:58 AM

87 YJ Brake lights only work when break pressed to floor

Just got an 87 YJ Wrangler... The break lights are working, but you really have to press the break pedal hard to get them to come on. When slowing down and you want to press the break, but not skid to a stop, the lights don't let others know your slowing down. Is there a way to adjust when the lights activate when you press the break pedal?
Additionally, I've already replaced the break switch (worst job ever, I think I broke my back getting under the dash, etc...) This did not help.
I've also replaced both break light assemblies and the bulbs are all working. At least they were.... Next topic... Why are my taillights no longer working when then the head lights are on? Again, the break lights work when pressed hard.

rustywrangler 04-26-2009 08:02 AM

The rear bulbs are a two filament bulb, you may have messed that up when replacing them, just double check that. The brake light switch can be adjusted as far as I know.

jimmers87jeep 04-26-2009 08:10 AM

Both filaments are good. When replacing the tail lights, I bought the entire housing with bulbs, etc... They worked during the original installation. I just checked the bulbs again, and all looks good.

ghost183 04-26-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmers87jeep (Post 7086183)
Just got an 87 YJ Wrangler... The break lights are working, but you really have to press the break pedal hard to get them to come on. When slowing down and you want to press the break, but not skid to a stop, the lights don't let others know your slowing down. Is there a way to adjust when the lights activate when you press the break pedal?
Additionally, I've already replaced the break switch (worst job ever, I think I broke my back getting under the dash, etc...) This did not help.
I've also replaced both break light assemblies and the bulbs are all working. At least they were.... Next topic... Why are my taillights no longer working when then the head lights are on? Again, the break lights work when pressed hard.

sorry to have to tell you this, but it sounds like the switch isnt "set" properly, and pushed in too far on the mount, i dont know if you have the push in type? or threaded? either one, go under there again and pull it out towards the steering wheel a little at a time till the lights work as normal..

UltimatE 04-26-2009 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmers87jeep (Post 7086231)
Both filaments are good. When replacing the tail lights, I bought the entire housing with bulbs, etc... They worked during the original installation. I just checked the bulbs again, and all looks good.

Sounds like a bad ground on the housings.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost183 (Post 7086243)
sorry to have to tell you this, but it sounds like the switch isnt "set" properly, and pushed in too far on the mount, i dont know if you have the push in type? or threaded? either one, go under there again and pull it out towards the steering wheel a little at a time till the lights work as normal..

My thoughts as well. The switch is not adjusted correctly.

jimmers87jeep 04-26-2009 09:16 AM

Ughhh... Will try to adjust (I'd call it the push in type)... When installing it the first time, It didn't seem like there was an adjustment. The switch just fit place.
I'll check the ground too...
Thanks

timatoe 04-26-2009 10:23 AM

When you adjust that switch, have someone watching the lights. You should only have to move the pedal lever ~ 1/8" or so before the light comes on.

jimmers87jeep 04-27-2009 01:39 PM

Okay, so I found the point at which the switch needs to be in order for the tail lights to work properly. However a few speed bumps or even a few series of pressing the break pedal, the switch shifts out of position. I wonder what "locks" it into place. I think I'm missing something, but when I did the inital removal of the switch I didn't lose anything.... Anyone have a diagram? Is there a locking washer or something?

buickgnx88 04-27-2009 03:49 PM

According to my Chiltons, the switch for the 87-90 is non-adjustable and is attached to the bracket with a bolt.

The switch for the 91-95 is apparently adjustable and is attached to to the bracket by threading it in or just pushing it in. You should take a picture so we can see what you're working with.

raceman 04-28-2009 04:32 AM

I just replaced mine on a 88 No adjustment

dodger889 04-28-2009 04:49 AM

Have you replaced the switch? If it's an old switch it could just be dirty and not releasing as it should. If the switch is moving on you you could use a piece of wood and a hose clamp to steady it from moving. The wood is for proper alignment.

jimmers87jeep 04-29-2009 08:42 AM

The switch is new and from what I've read, is not adjustable (I can rotate it, but as I've said, it just falls back into place). I like the idea of a piece of wood, but I am apposed to the idea because there should be a way to make this work without "jury-rigging" it. Can the brake push rod be adjusted to come out further thru the firewall? This, I think, would allow the switch to make connection before applying maximum pressure to the break pedal....

If all else fails, the wood idea may have to do, ughhh

buickgnx88 04-29-2009 09:18 AM

Pictures man, we need pics!

jimmers87jeep 05-05-2009 08:40 AM

I fixed it... It's non-adjustable so I fabricated a piece of metal that looks like this.... [
a C-channel that was placed between the break switch and the break rod that goes thru the firewall.
I figured using metal (wood my deteriorate) and I used a C-channel so there would be no way it could slip out. It's about a 1/16" thick. Works perfectly. Thanks for the advice and help. If anyone has this problem, this solution works!!!

iblee75 08-16-2013 08:48 PM

I know I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, but figure it's better than starting a new one. I'm having the same problem, even put in a new switch, but mine comes on the off then on again. I get the jist of what you're saying but could you show a picture of what you did to solve this problem?

The time now is 08:09 AM.