87 YJ Accelerates when its on Idle... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 87 YJ Accelerates when its on Idle...

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
sernaeric
1987 YJ Wrangler 

87 YJ Accelerates when its on Idle...

Whats Up Guys!! I just bought my 2.5 YJ and it recently started to accelerate on it's own while the jeep is on and on idle. It goes up to 2000 RPM's and scares the hell out of me because there is nothing I can do to stop it or bring it down, so I just end up turning the engine off. I checked the accelerator cable to see if it was sticking but it is not nor is the pedal. Any ideas out there of what could be causing this and how to fix??

sernaeric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So after you shut it off, and start it again, it idles fine?
Unread 04-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Jeepin_XJ_101
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Is it a stick shift? I didnt think they made auto's for the 2.5 until later. If it was an auto it would make sense that it pulled forward at 2K RPM so you would only have to figure out why its shooting up that high (you would have to anyways), but with a stick and it pulls forward you may be having issues with the slave cylinder or clutch system.

2005 WK 4.7L 3.5" RK, 255/75R17 on Rubi Wheels
1992 YJ 4.0L 5" ProComp on 35x12.50 Trxus MT
Jeepin_XJ_101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
sernaeric
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies! Its not an Automatic and when I shut it off and turn it back on, the RPMs go up right away. I means It was driving fine up until a few days ago.
Unread 04-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin_XJ_101
Is it a stick shift? I didnt think they made auto's for the 2.5 until later. If it was an auto it would make sense that it pulled forward at 2K RPM so you would only have to figure out why its shooting up that high (you would have to anyways), but with a stick and it pulls forward you may be having issues with the slave cylinder or clutch system.
Couldn't a vacuum leak cause a high idle too?
Unread 04-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
JFcavedweller

1999 TJ Wrangler 

does it rev up when you are in neutral? or just in gear?
Unread 04-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
sernaeric
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Revs up when i'm in neutral. Also when i come to a stop and I take it out of gear....
Unread 04-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
sernaeric
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So I checked all my vacuums and they are all in tact. I downloaded a diagram online so I followed that. Other than that is still doing the same thing... now it just idles on 2000rpms.... its rediculous...
Unread 04-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
Jeepin_XJ_101
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sernaeric View Post
So I checked all my vacuums and they are all in tact. I downloaded a diagram online so I followed that. Other than that is still doing the same thing... now it just idles on 2000rpms.... its rediculous...
If your vacuum lines are all in tact and not leaking then its probably the TPS (throttle position sensor). You can take some carb cleaner and spray it around the intake and manifold or any of your other hoses and if the idle drops when you hit the area with cleaner then there is your vacuum leak.

Oh I think I get it now, when you say it accelerates on its own then you mean the RPM's kick up, not that the actual jeep accelerates forward, I take back my comment about the clutch system

2005 WK 4.7L 3.5" RK, 255/75R17 on Rubi Wheels
1992 YJ 4.0L 5" ProComp on 35x12.50 Trxus MT
Jeepin_XJ_101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
klrstew
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My 92 has a fluctuation as well. Idles at 1100 which sounds a little high anyways and often revs up to 1500 for no apparent reason and sticks there for about 2 mins. This seems to be pretty common, but my searches are not going well. Yes, i'm a noob!
klrstew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
acceleration , idle , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.