87 yj 4.2 starts/idles great. Won't hold acceleration. - JeepForum.com

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 01-10-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Rlttu66
1987 YJ Wrangler 

87 yj 4.2 starts/idles great. Won't hold acceleration.

New rig, haven't even driven yet (because of this issue). Starts great, idles nicely. Will accelerate momentarily, the acts like is starved for fuel, shudders, and rpms decrease. Only thing I've done so far is replace filter and O2 sensor (cheap and was cracked anyway). This jeep has sat and was not even started in about a year until this week. Please help me think this through. I am very mechanically minded, but new to jeeps (and carbs for that matter). I guess my first thought was fuel pump (but would it start and idle so easily?). Dirty tank, clogged line, pinched return, etc etc? TIA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-10-2017, 10:44 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

This is usually for idle issues... http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/carter.html

Everything stock?

Get a free account at photobucket or imgur or flicker or the such and take some pics and post them here. If it's new to you, you may not even know what is and isn't supposed to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #3 of 26 Old 01-10-2017, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Rlttu66
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Idles smoothly at around 1200rpms. No sputtering, etc. Revs up nicely as well, but won't hold. Again, I'm new to carbs, so a little unsure of what I'm looking for, but I'll describe what I'm seeing.

-pull air cleaner, choke is functional
-watch acceleration jets while manually revving engine. Both jets immediately respond to acceleration with a nice steady stream into the Venturi. If I hold manual acceleration, should fuel continue to stream out of the jets? (It doesn't). After a few seconds running at higher rpms, it bogs down. If I let off, it will return to idle; if I don't let off, it kills it.
post #4 of 26 Old 01-10-2017, 11:35 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Like normal idle is 1,200 rpm? It should be roughly half that. Try getting a free hosting account and snap some pics of the carb and other associated crap around it.

Quote:
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #5 of 26 Old 01-11-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Rlttu66
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry, bad info. Cranked it this morning. More like 700ish
post #6 of 26 Old 01-11-2017, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Rlttu66
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Any input is much appreciated. I think it's something simple and hate to admit when I can't figure something out, but I really want to understand what I'm looking for. I got his jeep CHEAP, but I don't want to just throw parts at it until something sticks.

Thanks in advance...have really enjoyed browsing for the last week. Glad to have joined the club.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-11-2017, 09:48 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm hoping a carb guru will chime in here. That's not the stock carb, but I don't know what it is either, I tired of mine and went FI.

Quote:
post #8 of 26 Old 01-11-2017, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Rlttu66
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input...and I hope so too. If you don't mind me asking, how big of deal was the FI conversion (labor and expense)?
post #9 of 26 Old 01-12-2017, 04:16 AM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The Howell kit was about $1,200 because I'm in CA, Affordable Fuel Injection has a kit for under $1K.

It was about a days work, not hard at all just a bit time consuming.

Quote:
post #10 of 26 Old 01-12-2017, 10:57 PM
mattsez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, im damn good with carbs.....but not a guru. Sounds to me like the float is to low, and the bowl is running out of gas. Do a test for me. It idles.......how does it run if you hold it to the floor for an extended period? get it in gear, and floor it for at least 10 seconds IN GEAR.If it runs ok floored, but not half throttle, its a failing power valve. Is it a webber carb?....ive seen these with the fuel inlet and return line switched...( if yours has a return line) and it will idle, but the bowls run empty fast as you can imagine. Try that test, let me know how she does. Also spray carb cleaner around base of carb at idle, and at manifold to head......if the spray causes a change, its a vac leak.
post #11 of 26 Old 01-12-2017, 11:02 PM
mattsez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

does it have a catalitic converter?.....hmmmmm
post #12 of 26 Old 01-14-2017, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Rlttu66
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Anybody? Kinda stuck
post #13 of 26 Old 01-14-2017, 09:32 AM
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Look up motorcraft 2100. I know there are threads about tuning that carb. You might check that the nutter bypass has been done as well since that carb is not computer controlled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 26 Old 01-14-2017, 10:11 AM
mattsez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

well i tried to help.....lol...good luck
post #15 of 26 Old 01-14-2017, 10:25 AM
Mediceagle
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I had to do the Nutter bypass on mine to fix this issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.