87 Wrangler.. 4L swap.. keep tranny? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 87 Wrangler.. 4L swap.. keep tranny?

Huge Soft top SaleANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
k1llerkyle

87 Wrangler.. 4L swap.. keep tranny?

Guys.. I have an 87 Wrangler.... which as you know has the BA10 tranny... if I get a 4L out of a cherokee with an auto attached to it... Can I connect that to my ba10... I know I want to swap that out too.. but I might only have time and $$ to do the engine first.. and I found a great deal on a rebuilt one.

Thanks
Kyle

k1llerkyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Not ideal but you can if you figure out how to mount the cps if you are going fuel injected, don't forget to use a 4.0 flywheel for the crank trigger.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
ODGREEN4X4
1984 CJ7 

Wiring

I use the complete wiring harness (inside and out) and ecu for the engine/trans being used. using a auto could throw check engine light. Start changing/mixing this stuff and you are in for a nightmare. You could smoke that trans in no time with a 4.0. Good luck
ODGREEN4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
76_iron
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It will bolt right up, the ba10 on my 88 YJ was already cut out for a cps, and the flywheel was set up for a cps also. BA10 was used in cherokees and commanches with the 4.0, the one in my 89 commanche has around 200k on it. It will live until you can swap it out if you don't have big tires or beat on it.
76_iron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
k1llerkyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76_iron View Post
It will bolt right up, the ba10 on my 88 YJ was already cut out for a cps, and the flywheel was set up for a cps also. BA10 was used in cherokees and commanches with the 4.0, the one in my 89 commanche has around 200k on it. It will live until you can swap it out if you don't have big tires or beat on it.
So I will just need to get a 4.0L flywheel, and I can bolt up the engine... if I am getting that computer.. and wiring.. I shouldnt need anything else.. right? I really want it swapped out for the fuel injected engine.
Unread 08-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
k1llerkyle

my only other option is to get a replacement carter carb. sigh.. I dont think that is smart. I can get this engine with 50K on it for right around 400 bucks.
Unread 08-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
76_iron
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llerkyle View Post
So I will just need to get a 4.0L flywheel, and I can bolt up the engine... if I am getting that computer.. and wiring.. I shouldnt need anything else.. right? I really want it swapped out for the fuel injected engine.
You will need all the engine accessories, and a new fuel pump. I would check you transmission instead of assuming it is set up for CPA because mine was.
76_iron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.