87 Wiper linkage keeps falling apart - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 87 Wiper linkage keeps falling apart

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 11-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #16
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
Now that may not be entirely the way it went, but being the sardonic turd that I am in my curmudgeonly old age, it's how I see it.

So keep your diary, record your case number and the person with whom you spoke, don't be at all surprised if you have to call them back despite the promise of a 1 bidness day away phone call. And of course, keep us all posted.

Thanks for being a turd, for whatever reason I didn't think about escalating the issue.

I've got my case number in hand, ready to go. That was Jeep's official customer service line that I called so hopefully they will take it a little more seriously than the local dealership.

Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #17
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I've had a lot of sharp corners rounded off over the years, but there are times when I know not to accept NO as an answer, or let someone else get the stiff-arm inappropriately. I feel it's my responsibility to pass on to the forum little tidbits like this when I can, and the appropriate way to address and resolve problems.

This was one of those circumstances. Hopefully they will resolve this favorably for you.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #18
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

After playing the "Please Hold" game and phone tag for over a week, I finally got somewhere. I have a case manager who will be contacting the dealership service department tomorrow.
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #19
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, that is some progress at least. The game that is often played is to string you along, hoping you'll eventually get frustrated and just "go away." Keep us filled in on how this plays out.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 12-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #20
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, that is some progress at least. The game that is often played is to string you along, hoping you'll eventually get frustrated and just "go away." Keep us filled in on how this plays out.
Since it was a government mandated recall, Jeep is legally obliged to fix the problem. One person I spoke with said that if they can't locate OEM parts, they would pay for an aftermarket solution. I have her name and direct contact number so I will be giving her a call back if my current case manager drops the ball.
Unread 12-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #21
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I am expecting a call on Monday from a local dealership service manager to set up a time to bring my Jeep in. They managed to track down the original "recall kit" or whatever you want to call it. Supposedly it's physically at the dealership right now.
Unread 12-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #22
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I hope it hasn't been raining where you are.........but it sounds like you are making progress. Hang in there.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #23
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I hope it hasn't been raining where you are.........but it sounds like you are making progress. Hang in there.
It's been raining a little bit and it's in the 30s. I'm driving it up there with no top or doors, mainly so they won't want to take it out for some fun after work or park it outside.
Unread 12-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #24
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Going in Monday.
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #25
defmornahan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry, that was too much fun.

Anyway, I have the identical problem on my 1987 Wrangler Laredo bucket-of-bolts. When I got the thing, the windshield rotor on the driver's side had punched its way most of the way through the windshield frame, so one of the first things I did was replace that. I don't think it was too long before the wipers started flopping over and dying there because the plastic bushings cussed and discussed above were shot. I've tried putting the wipers in all possible positions to try to encourage them not to fall over, but nothing works. Because the plastic pieces are shot, the wipers travel a completely random distance even when they are working.

I've been looking for two weeks for replacement parts--none of the parts links above or anywhere else that I've found work, and in particular, the Dorman HELP! set o' random linkage bushings for Jeeps and Dodges and GMs from the 70s to the 90s does not have the right parts--so this thread was a revelation (not sure how I avoided finding it before, but such are search engines). I plugged my VIN into http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.jsp, called the local dealership and got a call back within half an hour; they said they were trying to track down the parts and it would be this afternoon or tomorrow before they heard back from someone further up the supply chain, and we agreed I would call back Thursday if I hadn't heard from them by then.

For the edification of the interwebs, here are some photos of the drive linkage, the rotor, and two of the worn out bushings: http://jogentoo.blogspot.com/2013/07/wiper-parts.html.
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #26
defmornahan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Followup: I had to call around to find a dealership willing to do the recall and had to find the parts on eBay. Jeep's contribution was: finding me the part number for the recall kit. Which is

C3940330

The seller called it the Arm & Pivot Assembly Package; I think I've also seen it called Windshield Reinforcement Package.

I got the kit for $100 and the dealership in Cape Girardeau charged I think $120 or so. I mailed in the receipts and we'll see if and how long it takes to get my check...
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #27
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had no idea these posts were here after I stopped updating this thread. The dealership somehow tracked down the recall parts, still new in the box, and installed them, way back in 2010 of course. Glad to see there is a part number for the kit. The pictures from your blogspot site look like the exact piece that broke on mine.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.