87 Wiper linkage keeps falling apart - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 87 Wiper linkage keeps falling apart

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

87 Wiper linkage keeps falling apart

So my wiper linkage inside the windshield frame is a piece of junk. I don't have any pics, but where the arm attaches to the motor, the plastic piece that it rotates on keeps getting chewed up and falling off, causing the whole system to die. Is there a replacement linkage system that is a little more stout?

Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You don't necessarily need a replacement that is more stout, just need an OEM replacement. Quadratec sells a wiper linkage kit for $70 which seems like a lot, so you may want to check to see if you can come up with the plastic/nylon grommet which is likely the piece you need. I do not know if this is available, but maybe at the dealership. I could not pull up a photo from quadratec, so I don't know what is in the wiper linkage kit per se.

Something to consider is why is the piece getting chewed up/falling off, etc. Things like wipers frozen to the windshield, or loaded with heavy snow can overload the linkage and cause it to pop off in some location--like where yours did....and once damaged will continue to do so. The other thing to consider is going thru your wiper linkage to see if there are any frozen/stiff connections. It is a pretty simple system but it is annoying to access inside the lower portion of the windshield frame, you gotta lower the windshield and work thru access ports. You can unscrew the plastic "nuts" around the wiper stubs and the stubs then poke thru into the inside of the frame, you can pull them apart and lube to make sure they aren't binding as well. The wiper arms themselves can be (carefully) pried off of splined shafts on the wiper stubs themselves, then pressed back on with a little lube on the splines.
Wipers are important safety items, don't skimp on them.

This one, it just wouldn't show me a photo or a description: http://www.quadratec.com/products/19105_05.htm

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.

Last edited by Opihi59; 12-20-2009 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: link
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 03:35 AM   #3
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can get new plastic inserts for your wiper system at NAPA.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The reason I don't want to get another plastic piece is because this is the 3rd time I've had this problem under different conditions. Yesterday just happened to be ice but it's happened on a normal day with just rain. I've lowered the windshield to put it back together so I know what everything looks like, and don't see any problems other than that plastic piece. I would really like to make something of my own, to prevent the arm from coming off, if anyone has any ideas.
Unread 12-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
offroad91yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem with my yj .Nobody make the little bushing for the wipers like you need or i could not find one .I went down to the local dodge dealership and found one for a cj .You will have to do some cutting on the back side of the bushing because itt a cap instead of a see though.i have had im on for over a year now and have had no trouble with it .I dont know the part number off hand i will see if i got another one so i can show you a pic and get a part number.
offroad91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
offroad91yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Could not find the the extra piece i had or the part number .
offroad91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm resurrecting this thread because I found the answer. I haven't found a replacement kit to address the issue yet but I found the recall. Here it is:

Quote:
WINDSHIELD FRAME METAL MAY CRACK AT THE WIPER ARM PIVOT MOUNTINGS DUE TO METAL STRESS DURING WIPER OPERATION. THIS CAN CAUSE DISLOCATION AND BINDING OF THE WIPERSYSTEM LINKAGE WHICH, IN INCLEMENT WEATHER, COULD AFFECT DRIVER VISIBILITY ANDRESULT IN AN ACCIDENT. RETROFIT WITH A WINDSHIELD FRAME REINFORCEMENT AT THE WIPER PIVOT LOCATIONS AND INSTALL NEW REDESIGNED LINKAGE COMPONENTS TO REDUCE STRESS AT THE PIVOT MOUNTINGS.

CARFAX Safety & Reliability Ratings - 1989 JEEP WRANGLER/YJ

Quote:
This one, it just wouldn't show me a photo or a description: http://www.quadratec.com/products/19105_05.htm
Going to call about this set this week.
Unread 10-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The set on Quadratec is only for CJs and I called the dealership and they said that the wiper linkage is no longer available. I also found out that my jeep has 3 outstanding recalls, one of which he confirmed was the wiper issue. The other two were for parts I have already replaced.
Unread 11-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Anybody know how the dealer addressed the flexing windshield frame issue? Pics would be awesome.
Unread 11-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms87 View Post
The set on Quadratec is only for CJs and I called the dealership and they said that the wiper linkage is no longer available. I also found out that my jeep has 3 outstanding recalls, one of which he confirmed was the wiper issue. The other two were for parts I have already replaced.

If there is a recall for your Jeep, take it in to the dealer. It doesn't matter how many people have owned the Jeep, how many miles, etc. The recall is for the vehicle, not for the original owner.

Time to see the dealership.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 11-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
If there is a recall for your Jeep, take it in to the dealer. It doesn't matter how many people have owned the Jeep, how many miles, etc. The recall is for the vehicle, not for the original owner.

Time to see the dealership.
I called and they said the parts are no longer made for the vehicle so they can't do anything about it. I have 3 outstanding recalls according the jeep's VIN and none of them had ever been fixed, but the other 2 are for parts I have already swapped out.
Unread 11-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

They're trying to discourage you and get rid of you. They have an obligation to fulfill the requirements of the recall. What they have told you is not acceptable. Call back, ask for a supervisor. Begin a diary of who by name you speak with, when, and their responses. They really don't have an option other than to come up with a solution for this, even if it means they have to purchase an aftermarket windshield frame and install it for you. Look up National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and contact them in regards to the Dealership balking on meeting the requirements of the recall with all the details and points of contact at the Dealership with whom you spoke. It could require some effort on your part, but they do have an obligation. They haven't fulfilled it for you by telling you they don't have the parts.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #13
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
They're trying to discourage you and get rid of you. They have an obligation to fulfill the requirements of the recall. What they have told you is not acceptable. Call back, ask for a supervisor. Begin a diary of who by name you speak with, when, and their responses. They really don't have an option other than to come up with a solution for this, even if it means they have to purchase an aftermarket windshield frame and install it for you. Look up National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and contact them in regards to the Dealership balking on meeting the requirements of the recall with all the details and points of contact at the Dealership with whom you spoke. It could require some effort on your part, but they do have an obligation. They haven't fulfilled it for you by telling you they don't have the parts.
Interesting...I'll have to try that. Thanks for the info.
Unread 11-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome news. I just got off the phone with Jeep customer service. I told them about my experience with the service department and my recall and they said that was unacceptable and any open recall gets fixed, period. I now have a case number and will be getting a phone call from a case manager within 1 business day.

Figures one of the few things I've left stock is the thing giving me the most trouble.
Unread 11-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #15
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms87 View Post
Awesome news. I just got off the phone with Jeep customer service. I told them about my experience with the service department and my recall and they said that was unacceptable and any open recall gets fixed, period. I now have a case number and will be getting a phone call from a case manager within 1 business day.
Yup, that's the way it is supposed to be. You got the "just make him go away" schpiel from the svc person at the dealership, and they almost got away with it.......
Conversation in the break room: "I told him we didn't have parts any more and he bought it....snicker snicker," High Fives exchanged, etc. Svc manager gets a little bonus.......
Now that may not be entirely the way it went, but being the sardonic turd that I am in my curmudgeonly old age, it's how I see it.

So keep your diary, record your case number and the person with whom you spoke, don't be at all surprised if you have to call them back despite the promise of a 1 bidness day away phone call. And of course, keep us all posted.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.