87 Manual Transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 87 Manual Transmission

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-06-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
duke32

87 Manual Transmission

I have an 87 stock manual transmission. My question is , I went on vacation for two weeks and came back and started up the jeep. The jeep started fine but I cant get the gear shifter to slip into any gears whatsoever. When i left it everything was fine and there were no signs of anything going wrong. Can anyone tell me what to check for or any advice as to correcting the problem? Thanks!

duke32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
jackal411

What engine do you have ( 4 or 6 cylinder ) ?
Could be the slave or the master cylinder leaking. You will have to drop the tranny to replace the slave.
Can you put it in gear and start it ?
Unread 08-06-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
rbn1357

If the tranny will shift with the engine off but not when started, that usually means the hydraulic system is wearing out. There could be leaks external or internally.
rbn1357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
Megatron

how does your clutch pedal "feel"? does it feel normal, or does the pedal drop to the floor with no effort? does it feel spongy?
ive never seen this on a vehicle sittin for only 2 weeks but your clutch disc could be seized to the flywheel, kinda rusted in place. this usaully only happens when things sit for a good long time in a damp enviroment.

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]STEALTH RECOVERY TEAM MEMBER # 1[/COLOR]
Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #5
duke32

I can shift into gears when the engine is off. The clutch feels the same as when everything was fine. I did get it into gear once and the slightest relaese of the clutch and the jeep wants to move forward. It was not like that in the past. I have a 6 cylinder engine. I do live in east texas where it is constantly humid. There are no signs of anything leaking externally on the ground. I am not knowledgeable at all in the transmission area. Thanks!
duke32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
lah2420
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sure sounds like the master or slave cylinder.
lah2420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.