87 dash indicator lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 87 dash indicator lights

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 46th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #1
wdhigh

87 dash indicator lights

My 87's dash indicators do not work. Well actauly only the right blinker works.

I took the dash apart and swapped the working bulb into some of the other sockets and nothing, and the bulb I swapped into the right one still works which should indicate the bulb was good. New to jeeps and need to know if there are any other obvious places I should start. Briefly looked over the fuse panel and it looks as though some slots where missing a fuse and the ones that had fuses looked good. What fuse would run these sets of lights. Is it most likely not a fuse problem since the right blinker indicator lights up? As far as I can tell only the lights on the dash are out and not the actual function that it indicates. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

So far nothing I have set out to accomplish has worked out. Might have bought my first and last one if I dont get some of these pesky things worked out. Trying to learn as I go and do it myself without having to pay someone a small fortune to fix this thing.

wdhigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
wdhigh

Nobody else has had issues similar to this?
Unread 05-11-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Is the problem the dash indicator for the left blinker does't work BUT the front and rear left blinkers do work
or..
is it that rear and front left blinkers don't work AND the dash indicator doesn't work?
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
wdhigh

Actualy all the exterior turn signals work. The problem is that the only light in my indicator cluster that works is the right arrow. I swapped the bulbs around and still the same thing.

Not finding anything about this in my hanes manual. Looked at the fuse box diagram in the owners manual and of course it slightly varies from what is actualy under my dash. Pulled the plugs apart the plug into the dash itself and all looked clean. This thing might get put back together and be for sale before the weekend is over. Thought it was just a fuse or a bulb or two when I bought it, guess I bit off more than I can chew because I am not re-wiring this thing after just buying it. I know last year when it was parked for a good while that every thing worked. Not sure what happened between then and now , but it is getting the best of me!
Unread 05-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
TexMontana

can always try to clean the contacts where the bulbs attach with some fine grit sand paper....

87 Jeep Wrangler Yj 2.5l stock Currie boomerang shackles Blazer blower motor upgrade Cragar 397 w/31x10.5 rubbers Homade Posi-lock
Rochester,NY
TexMontana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If the front turn indicators are both working then there is not fuze or turn signal switch problem. The dash indicators are driven off the same wire that the front indicators are wired to. The left dash indicator is powered by the Gray/Black wire.

As previously mentioned try cleaning the contacts for the bulb socket.
Also check where the wire harness connects to the dash panel. Possibly a dirty or corroded connector contact there.

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

Click on Figure 4 for the wiring diagram.

Last edited by kloppk; 05-12-2007 at 08:20 PM..
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #7
Sahara88
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Take a look at the Haynes repair manual. They have that kind of stuff in there
Sahara88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #8
wdhigh

Used the test light and have all power atleast coming into the 2 sets of plugs that go the contacts to power the lights.

Somewhere in the middle of all of this I managed to blow the fuse that works my gauges. Replaced it and they work again, but now I have no brake lights. I have turn signals, hazards,running lights but no brake lights. Have checked all the fuses at least 3 times and they all look good. Anyone got any advice on the brake lights atleast? This is getting out og hand, now I cant even drive the god for saken thing! Please give me some good ideas on the brake lights or anyother fuses that might be related to them!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.