87-95 yj windshield replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 87-95 yj windshield replacement

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
mightybg
1991 YJ Wrangler 

87-95 yj windshield replacement

I haven't seen as many posts with the correct information as I have seen posts with the wrong information.

1. on a 87-95 yj jeep the windshield is glued into the frame.
2. The seals on the frame are for the most part decorative at best, the outside provides a sort of moisture barrier if you get the larger rubber replacement type that the glass shop will put on them.
3. When using the urethane sealant for windshield installation, if you think you have a strong caulking gun, go get a stronger one!

I am posting this cause I bought the kit from Quadratec that had all the necessary parts to put a complete frame and windshield and found out what it actually takes. The windshield inner rubber gasket goes on the frame first, you may need to put a little weather stripping adheasive on the edge of the frame to hold it in place. then place the glass shop style gasket on the winshield glass if you have this if not the plastic one from most kits goes on after the windshield is intalled. put the some adheasive primer on the frame and the windshield at points of contact. The kits usually do not come with this. Now lay a generous bead around the frame adjacent to the inner rubber seal that was installed on the frame.(about 1/2" thick or more) then carefully place the windshield on to the frame spacing it evenly from every side. Next, after firmly but carefully seating the window onto the adheasive, either make sure the large outer rubber gasket is overlapping the frame and glass properly or if you have the factory outer trim piece place it in the gap left from the windshield glass installation.

I hope this helps at least someone as I had a difficult time finding this information.

p.s. I ended up taking my windshield to a glass shop and they installed it for me cause I could not find an adequate caulking gun and I watched the entire installation process. and he explained why the new rubber seal outside was the way to go. probably why alot of people are changing windshields to begin with because the original plastic trim piece does not prevent water from entering and holds it in and then that signature rust hole at the bottom center of the winshield frame is born.

Last edited by mightybg; 11-30-2009 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: shop style gasket goes on glass, in 3rd sentence I had previously said frame.
mightybg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for this info.
I will be putting a windshield in sometime this winter.
Unread 11-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
fiandjos95
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the info, u were right about needing a strong caulk gun, i broke 2 while during the process but everything went well besides that
fiandjos95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
Broni1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Did mine last winter was str8 forward, once I had a good caulk gun lol. I wire wheeled the frame and hit it with some black primer, hasn't leaked since!
Broni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #5
ziebartrob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I do windshields for a living, and I would not want to push urathane with a manual caulk gun. I always use a power gun and keep the urathne somewhat warm. If you have to use a manual gun you will want one with at least a 25/1 ratio.
Always make sure you remove as much of the old urathne as possible. Any spots where you might have nicked the paint need to be covered in primer. Our rigs dont need any encouragement in the rust dept!
Like any other job, having the right tools makes all the difference.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.