87 4.2 yj died and won't start please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 87 4.2 yj died and won't start please help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineIron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!TERAFLEX JKU 2.5" Elite LCG Long FlexArm Lift Kit w/

Unread 01-16-2015, 01:41 AM   #1
Tofu77

87 4.2 yj died and won't start please help

I have a 1987 yj with the 4.2L with no nutter.
Today I was driving around when I took a turn and started to accelerate as I went to shift to the next gear I felt like the engine lost 75% of its power. I tried to rev my engine to give it some gas and as I did that it just shut off. I let it sit for awhile before trying to start it, engine was cranking and had power to everything but didn't want to start. I tried to push it down a hill and drop the clutch to see if maybe I could at least get home.

I have no idea what could possibly be wrong, I just replaced my ignition switch (located on top of the column) a week ago and has been running a lil rough but otherwise fine. If anyone could help me with some ideas would be great.
The jeep is my daily driver so I need to get her back up and running

Tofu77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2015, 02:32 AM   #2
Tofu77

Also ik it's getting fuel, because i took the filter off and could see the gas, could hear the starter working just jeep didn't want to start. Even after I had a friend tow me home I tried popping the clutch and got it to fire fire at 10 mph but was barely running and when I would push the clutch in no matter if I even put the gas pedal to the floor it just dies.

Any suggestions are welcome, I've thought it would be icm maybe but it's not that old
Unread 01-16-2015, 04:00 AM   #3
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ignition Control Module
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
Tofu77

Well after further inspection of the engine and trying to find the problem. I have found that 3 of my passenger engine mount bolts all snapped off and the distributor had fallen onto the engine mount. And I think that has caused it to also jump timing. And the fun part is I have brown dog engine mounts already and the bolts broke
Unread 01-18-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like some drilling and easy outing is in your future

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #6
Tofu77

Easy drilling? It doesn't seem to be easy. If anyone has any useful tips on getting the bolts out without dropping the engine would be greatly appreciated just doesn't seem like you can get to all the bolts while the engine is still in the jeep
Unread 01-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

remove the fender(s)

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2015, 10:58 PM   #8
Luuca
TYPICAL /F12 HOOLIGAN

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu77 View Post
Easy drilling? It doesn't seem to be easy. If anyone has any useful tips on getting the bolts out without dropping the engine would be greatly appreciated just doesn't seem like you can get to all the bolts while the engine is still in the jeep
Depends on where the bolts snapped off. If you are lucky, there may be some small nubs there you can grab onto with some vicegrips and back them out. Just be sure to hit them with your PB Blaster type creeping oil of choice and/or use the blue wrench on them to help get them out. If, on the other hand, they broke off flush or a little inside the block, you'll need a quality "easy-out" tool and some patience - PB Blaster and heat are still your friend in this case as well.

Best method if you don't want to pull the engine is to remove the fender and attached items to allow clear access to the engine block side. Replace with Grade 8 bolts and use some anti-sieze.

Best of luck
Unread 01-20-2015, 05:49 AM   #9
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu77
An easy-out is a broken bolt extractor.....

A slab of wood under the oil pan can be a good short term way of jacking up motor without damaging anything.
Unread 01-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #10
Tofu77

Well looks like I'll be running to the store to buy some easy-out tools to pull these bolts because all 4 broke flush with the block. Thank you all for your help, seeing how I'm not that mechanically inclined
Unread 01-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #11
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Do not break the easy outs off in the hole. They are super hardened steel and are virtually impossible to drill out.

It is one of those things where there would be no shame in going to a pro if you aren't confident you can do it without screwing it up.
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.