87 2.5 rocker arm torque? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 87 2.5 rocker arm torque?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
kodyowenby10
1987 YJ Wrangler 

87 2.5 rocker arm torque?

Had my valve cover off so I removed rocker arms to clean them up. The bolts were way more than the torque spec of 19ft lbs coming off. To reinstall do I need to bring each cylinder to top dead center and torque them? 19ft lbs just dont feel right at all.

kodyowenby10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just checked the service manual and yes you are right 19 ft/lbs is the correct torque. If they were tighter than that hopefully it didn't stretch the threads. You will be fine at 19 ft/lbs. The serrvice manual does not require TDC for installation only that they go back where they came from.
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The initial break-away torque may have been higher due to crud on the threads; I wouldn't worry about it. As stated, no TDC required for re-installation.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
kodyowenby10
1987 YJ Wrangler 

At 19 ft lbs it breaks before it even starts to compress the valve springs on the ones I know were compressed when I pulled them loose? The base of the rockers should bottom out on the head before break away torque is reach correct?
kodyowenby10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.