8.8 u bolts/brackets - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-24-2011, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

8.8 u bolts/brackets

Will the stock 8.8 brackets work with the 8.8 conversion? The Ford u bolts, and the Ford brackets? I am thinking they should.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-24-2011, 10:40 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I used the stock ford bottom plates and they work fine. BUT, the shock mounts hang down like a shovel. I got the MORE relocator brackets and new plates from Ruff Stuff about a year and a half ago and have not put them on yet.

You really should never reuse u bolts and the ford ones are not all that beefy anyway.

Not a great picture but you can see how low the shock sits.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
post #3 of 7 Old 10-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Quail
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you are staying SUA. Yes
If money is tight, you can use the bolt plates,ubolts and the shock mounts on the plates until you can set it up to youre taste.
I did it for 8 months.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Louie4
Jeep Enjuneering

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just like these guys said, you can use re-use them. I actually used the plasma cutter and took off the ears for the shock mounts on the plates and I'm ashamed to say that I am still using the stock u-bolts. I want to get the 8.8 u-bolts and spring plates from Ruff Stuff but I'm about to get some synthetic rope and possibly a rear bumper/tire carrier in the next couple months.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
post #5 of 7 Old 10-24-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you very much, this axle is pretty much ready to bolt in. I bought the brackets and u bolts from a yard. 50 bucks total. It will get me through until I get better it looks like. My 35 is in bad shape, I have to swap it asap. So I have the flange, the brackets, u bolts, and the u joints look to be the same size on the flange as on my current shaft. So now I need to get oil, and I am looking for hopefully someone who is stocking spicer u joints today.
Also. Does anyone know what oil to use in the 8.8 with a arb locker? And are there any additives?
I am out and about right now, and am shopping for this stuff.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-24-2011, 12:34 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
Does anyone know what oil to use in the 8.8 with a arb locker? And are there any additives?
I use the regular 75/90 gear oil, no additives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-24-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, 75/90 it is then.
I won't need the shock mounts on the plates as I already have the shock mounts welded on the tubes. So I can work with trimming down the brackets some, then get better u-bolts.
No sye, so, I am using the stock drive shaft, stock t case on the 2.5 suspension lift. It looks like the front pinion area of the 8.8 is going to be a little closer to the t case than the Dana 35. But with the 2.5 lift, and the slight offset of the pumpkin on the 8.8, I am hoping it will be a good fit for the driveshaft. I have not read of any problems with this config.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.