8.8 tech - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 8.8 tech

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-18-2005, 08:25 PM   #1
Greencar

8.8 tech

Ok, I have an 8.8 that I am going to get regeared real soon. the current gears I beleive are 3.73's I am going up to 4.88's would I need a new carrier for this. Also, if I need it where can I get one online?

TIA

-Dan

Unread 09-18-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

you dont need a new carrier. i would suggest you do the locker now if you have any intention of getting one in the future.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencar
Ok, I have an 8.8 that I am going to get regeared real soon. the current gears I beleive are 3.73's I am going up to 4.88's would I need a new carrier for this. Also, if I need it where can I get one online?

TIA

-Dan
there is no carrier break for the 8.8 so you should have no problem changing gears.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
Greencar

hey, thanks for the help guys. Now what about a notched cross pin? Do I need one that is a different size? Can I use the stock one and get away with it. I also heard that you can grind a tooth or two to get the stock one to fit. LMK

Thanks!!

-Dan
Unread 09-20-2005, 05:13 PM   #5
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencar
hey, thanks for the help guys. Now what about a notched cross pin? Do I need one that is a different size? Can I use the stock one and get away with it. I also heard that you can grind a tooth or two to get the stock one to fit. LMK

Thanks!!

-Dan
are you going to 4:88 gears?
if not, i dont believe you need either the notched pin nor to grind a tooth.

if you are, you can just take the tip off of one of the teeth to fit the pin. it doesnt take much, and is no where neer the contact pattern of the pinion.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.