is the 8.8 swap really that hard ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > is the 8.8 swap really that hard ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
cody413
1992 YJ Wrangler 

is the 8.8 swap really that hard ?

I have a 92 wrangler with the 2.5. I'm running 33s with a 4" suspension lift. I wanted to upgrade the back Axel because everywhere I read ppl say stock won't last.,

cody413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's not hard at all. The challenge is taking the time to do the research. The cost depends on how much you can do yourself

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Jeepsr4me

Its too easy if you can weld or know a buddy that can. Its not rocket science, simple measure once, measure again and bam its done.
Lots of write ups on here that walk you thru it. Cost for my last one was 75 for complete axle assembly at the U pull it yard. ( i found the right ratio then found one with new brakes and rotors and put the 2 together. I only grind off the perches and reuse them so that was basically free. Then I reuse the ford U bolts cause they nice. The yoke adapter is already on the vehicle you taken the 8.8 from so get that and leave attached so yard not charge extree. Even get the soft line going up to frame as the jeep hard line screws right to it. Its just so simple. we help ya too.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
It's not hard at all. The challenge is taking the time to do the research.
Zing!!

So true.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
lutzke21

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I did the swap, but only because my rear axle finally gave up the ghost. The 35 will handle some moderate rough stuff, but the question is when it does die, will you still need to drive it out? Gonna suck if the wheel starts coming out on the way back.

If you take care of it and don't push it too hard, it will last you.

As far as the swap, I did it, by myself, in a weekend. And I'd never done axle work before. It's not hard, if you do your research and are moderately intelligent.

'94 YJ on 35s

Sept '14 YJOTM
July '13 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzke21 View Post
I did the swap, but only because my rear axle finally gave up the ghost. The 35 will handle some moderate rough stuff, but the question is when it does die, will you still need to drive it out? Gonna suck if the wheel starts coming out on the way back.

If you take care of it and don't push it too hard, it will last you.

As far as the swap, I did it, by myself, in a weekend. And I'd never done axle work before. It's not hard, if you do your research and are moderately intelligent.
If the 8.8 dies in the same way - a C-clip or axle break - you're still not driving it out though.
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave View Post
If the 8.8 dies in the same way - a C-clip or axle break - you're still not driving it out though.
always carry spares.

then of course there is the Superior upgrade that helps alleviate both of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
While this is true........ how many guys running 8.8's have you seen like this?

I haven't, that's why I'm asking. I have seen this several times with the 35 though.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
c5wagner
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The hardest part is finding one for a good price. Everyone near me wanted $500-600 for one, luckily I pretty much stole one complete with lsd, disc breaks, and 4.10 gear ratio for $75.
Big Red Money Pit: 1989 Base YJ, 4.2l, MC 2150, nv3550, nv241or with 4:1 low, 2003 Rubicon f D44 & r ford 8.8 with 4.10 gearing, Skyjacker 4" double military wrap springs, RC perf. 2.2 shocks, homebrew 1/2" lift boom shackles, 31x10.5r15 Treadwright Guard Dogs.
c5wagner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
always carry spares.

then of course there is the Yukon upgrade that helps alleviate both of those.
Fixed it for ya.
Unread 12-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #11
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
While true (to a point) the 8.8 is considerably stronger than the 35 so it's less likely (than the D35) to break in the first place...
and if/when it DOES break - while not an ideal situation, it is possible to hobble it off the trail as the caliper (for short term) will keep the axle from coming out.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #12
NHfireYJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Its too easy if you can weld or know a buddy that can. Its not rocket science, simple measure once, measure again and bam its done.
Lots of write ups on here that walk you thru it. Cost for my last one was 75 for complete axle assembly at the U pull it yard. ( i found the right ratio then found one with new brakes and rotors and put the 2 together. I only grind off the perches and reuse them so that was basically free. Then I reuse the ford U bolts cause they nice. The yoke adapter is already on the vehicle you taken the 8.8 from so get that and leave attached so yard not charge extree. Even get the soft line going up to frame as the jeep hard line screws right to it. Its just so simple. we help ya too.
Get new, Don't reuse u bolts sitting on an axle from a junk yard.
LUCY...2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5" lift, on 35"s D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD.

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireYJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #13
Jeepsr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
Get new, Don't reuse u bolts sitting on an axle from a junk yard.
Maybe not up there where you at, but down here they are in mint shape and hold just fine. Now the ones jeep uses I dont like to reuse those. Seem cheaply made and of a crappy material.
Ones from Ford are well made and of a high quality material. The jeep threads gall a lot, but ford ones just dont.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #14
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5wagner View Post
The hardest part is finding one for a good price. Everyone near me wanted $500-600 for one, luckily I pretty much stole one complete with lsd, disc breaks, and 4.10 gear ratio for $75.
I was told (from a wrecking yard two days ago) that the 4.10 geared 8.8's would only be in the two-door Explorers - does anyone know if this is true?

There is a local one tht they'll cut out from the vehicle for me for $250, but it has 3.73's, which just means that I'd have to spend good money re-gearing it.
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #15
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was told (from a wrecking yard two days ago) that the 4.10 geared 8.8's would only be in the two-door Explorers - does anyone know if this is true?

There is a local one tht they'll cut out from the vehicle for me for $250, but it has 3.73's, which just means that I'd have to spend good money re-gearing it.
Not true

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

Tags
8.8 , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.