is the 8.8 swap really that hard ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > is the 8.8 swap really that hard ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Reply
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
cody413
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Port Charlotte, Florida
Posts: 178
is the 8.8 swap really that hard ?

I have a 92 wrangler with the 2.5. I'm running 33s with a 4" suspension lift. I wanted to upgrade the back Axel because everywhere I read ppl say stock won't last.,

cody413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,861
It's not hard at all. The challenge is taking the time to do the research. The cost depends on how much you can do yourself




Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
__________________
.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Jeepsr4me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,813
Its too easy if you can weld or know a buddy that can. Its not rocket science, simple measure once, measure again and bam its done.
Lots of write ups on here that walk you thru it. Cost for my last one was 75 for complete axle assembly at the U pull it yard. ( i found the right ratio then found one with new brakes and rotors and put the 2 together. I only grind off the perches and reuse them so that was basically free. Then I reuse the ford U bolts cause they nice. The yoke adapter is already on the vehicle you taken the 8.8 from so get that and leave attached so yard not charge extree. Even get the soft line going up to frame as the jeep hard line screws right to it. Its just so simple. we help ya too.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
imstillatwork
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oregon Coast, Oregon
Posts: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
It's not hard at all. The challenge is taking the time to do the research.
Zing!!

So true.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
lutzke21
Senior Member
 
lutzke21's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: , Missouri
Posts: 955
I did the swap, but only because my rear axle finally gave up the ghost. The 35 will handle some moderate rough stuff, but the question is when it does die, will you still need to drive it out? Gonna suck if the wheel starts coming out on the way back.

If you take care of it and don't push it too hard, it will last you.

As far as the swap, I did it, by myself, in a weekend. And I'd never done axle work before. It's not hard, if you do your research and are moderately intelligent.
__________________
-Scott

'94 YJ on 35s

Sept '14 YJOTM
July '13 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
Mambo_Dave
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: south, Florida
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzke21 View Post
I did the swap, but only because my rear axle finally gave up the ghost. The 35 will handle some moderate rough stuff, but the question is when it does die, will you still need to drive it out? Gonna suck if the wheel starts coming out on the way back.

If you take care of it and don't push it too hard, it will last you.

As far as the swap, I did it, by myself, in a weekend. And I'd never done axle work before. It's not hard, if you do your research and are moderately intelligent.
If the 8.8 dies in the same way - a C-clip or axle break - you're still not driving it out though.
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler
 
RockWoRM's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fresno, Ca.
Posts: 8,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave View Post
If the 8.8 dies in the same way - a C-clip or axle break - you're still not driving it out though.
always carry spares.

then of course there is the Superior upgrade that helps alleviate both of those.
__________________
'92 YJ, 4.0, 5sp, 8.8 w/ 4.56's locked F&R, Teralow 4-1, HD SYE, BDS 5" SUA lifted on 35 MTR's. PSE front trail cage kit, 1ton TRE flip, 1"shackles, 1"BL, 1" MM. <><

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave View Post
If the 8.8 dies in the same way - a C-clip or axle break - you're still not driving it out though.
While this is true........ how many guys running 8.8's have you seen like this?



I haven't, that's why I'm asking. I have seen this several times with the 35 though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
c5wagner
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 68
The hardest part is finding one for a good price. Everyone near me wanted $500-600 for one, luckily I pretty much stole one complete with lsd, disc breaks, and 4.10 gear ratio for $75.
__________________
Big Red Money Pit: 1989 Base YJ, 4.2l, MC 2150, nv3550, nv241or with 4:1 low, 2003 Rubicon f D44 & r ford 8.8 with 4.10 gearing, Skyjacker 4" double military wrap springs, RC perf. 2.2 shocks, homebrew 1/2" lift boom shackles, 31x10.5r15 Treadwright Guard Dogs.
c5wagner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 19,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
always carry spares.

then of course there is the Yukon upgrade that helps alleviate both of those.
Fixed it for ya.
__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #11
SeanB95YJ
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave View Post
If the 8.8 dies in the same way - a C-clip or axle break - you're still not driving it out though.
While true (to a point) the 8.8 is considerably stronger than the 35 so it's less likely (than the D35) to break in the first place...
and if/when it DOES break - while not an ideal situation, it is possible to hobble it off the trail as the caliper (for short term) will keep the axle from coming out.
__________________
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #12
NHfireYJ
Jeeper Creeper
 
NHfireYJ's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Its too easy if you can weld or know a buddy that can. Its not rocket science, simple measure once, measure again and bam its done.
Lots of write ups on here that walk you thru it. Cost for my last one was 75 for complete axle assembly at the U pull it yard. ( i found the right ratio then found one with new brakes and rotors and put the 2 together. I only grind off the perches and reuse them so that was basically free. Then I reuse the ford U bolts cause they nice. The yoke adapter is already on the vehicle you taken the 8.8 from so get that and leave attached so yard not charge extree. Even get the soft line going up to frame as the jeep hard line screws right to it. Its just so simple. we help ya too.
Get new, Don't reuse u bolts sitting on an axle from a junk yard.
__________________
LUCY...2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5" lift, on 35"s D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD.

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireYJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #13
Jeepsr4me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
Get new, Don't reuse u bolts sitting on an axle from a junk yard.
Maybe not up there where you at, but down here they are in mint shape and hold just fine. Now the ones jeep uses I dont like to reuse those. Seem cheaply made and of a crappy material.
Ones from Ford are well made and of a high quality material. The jeep threads gall a lot, but ford ones just dont.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #14
Mambo_Dave
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: south, Florida
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5wagner View Post
The hardest part is finding one for a good price. Everyone near me wanted $500-600 for one, luckily I pretty much stole one complete with lsd, disc breaks, and 4.10 gear ratio for $75.
I was told (from a wrecking yard two days ago) that the 4.10 geared 8.8's would only be in the two-door Explorers - does anyone know if this is true?

There is a local one tht they'll cut out from the vehicle for me for $250, but it has 3.73's, which just means that I'd have to spend good money re-gearing it.
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #15
Anticanman
Follow me
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 19,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave View Post
I was told (from a wrecking yard two days ago) that the 4.10 geared 8.8's would only be in the two-door Explorers - does anyone know if this is true?

There is a local one tht they'll cut out from the vehicle for me for $250, but it has 3.73's, which just means that I'd have to spend good money re-gearing it.
Not true

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html
__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
8.8 , swap

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.