8.8 Swap Done Cheap! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 8.8 Swap Done Cheap!

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 10-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #61
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95yj0645 View Post
That was my next question! Because I don't have a heavy duty welder yet and have been looking for one specifically for building/fixing jeep stuff....
Did my whole jeep build with a home depot Lincoln 110 V mig welder w flux core wire. I have the gas regulator but never got around to getting the gas.

8.8, home made tire carrier 2" tubing, bumper work, frame repairs, motor mounts, D ring tie downs on my 10K trailer for the jeep and my Kubota.

The welder handles 1/4" easily and will do 5/16 if your slow and patient...

I like it cause at 110 V you can use it anywhere

Sorry for the hi jack..

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #62
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ashland if you come across another deal like that let me know! I added this to my bookmarks. Where did you get it from up north?
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #63
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Ashland if you come across another deal like that let me know! I added this to my bookmarks. Where did you get it from up north?
My grandpa is friends with two people who own junk yards in Alger by west branch and they always give me pretty good deals. The one guy still has two 8.8s with LSD and 3.73 gears if your interested.
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #64
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

2.5L so I really need the 4.10. It really sounds like your rig is coming together!
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #65
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
2.5L so I really need the 4.10. It really sounds like your rig is coming together!
Yeah, I picked up the only 4.10 they had. I was getting really worried to because it was the last one I looked at lol.
Unread 10-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #66
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Man if I could get the boneheads at the yards here to come and pick up the car and cut the thing out for me id be a happy camper!
Nice job btw, I love how you always do everything on a budget, reminds me of me.
I will admit sometimes i wish i had a big shop with infinite tools and could order all new parts
Unread 10-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #67
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
Man if I could get the boneheads at the yards here to come and pick up the car and cut the thing out for me id be a happy camper!
Nice job btw, I love how you always do everything on a budget, reminds me of me.
I will admit sometimes i wish i had a big shop with infinite tools and could order all new parts
Thanks man!
Unread 10-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #68
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Que i don't know were you are located on the d but if you are in the south east area i have a guy that has a crap ton of 8.8's in his garage along with a ton of parts. pm me if you want his number. This goes for anyone in SE mi or northern ohio.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:46 AM   #69
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The welder handles 1/4" easily and will do 5/16 if your slow and patient...

I like it cause at 110 V you can use it anywhere
Not sure I agree with you. I've yet to meet a 110v wire feed welder that would "easily" handle 1/4", even with flux core. Can a 110v 140amp machine weld 1/4" for *most* applications? Sure, assuming its a flat weld with a proper bevel and preheat. Would I trust it for D-ring tie downs on a 5 ton trailer? Absolutely not, especially vertically mounted ones on the outside frame of the trailer (I'm assuming these are where they are located). You simply can't get full penetration, even with .035" flux core on a dedicated 120v 30a breaker...and tie downs on an equipment trailer is not where I'd want partial weld penetration.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #70
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Kingcat I am in Trenton off of Fort and VanHorn. Pm sent
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #71
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason280 View Post
Not sure I agree with you. I've yet to meet a 110v wire feed welder that would "easily" handle 1/4", even with flux core. Can a 110v 140amp machine weld 1/4" for *most* applications? Sure, assuming its a flat weld with a proper bevel and preheat. Would I trust it for D-ring tie downs on a 5 ton trailer? Absolutely not, especially vertically mounted ones on the outside frame of the trailer (I'm assuming these are where they are located). You simply can't get full penetration, even with .035" flux core on a dedicated 120v 30a breaker...and tie downs on an equipment trailer is not where I'd want partial weld penetration.
Just need to go slow and get good heat. I use chain binders (not afraid to reef things down) and after 7 years no problems.... A couple passes too...

Even when stuck and being "Yanked" by another jeep the bumper D rings are solid too...

Its more than adequate welder. BTW,, its the more expensive 110/120 30-140 amp welding output.. NOT the cheaper 110/120 20 -30 amp unit.. 2 different machines
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #72
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

I'm not sure that I can agree or disagree on if a 110V MIG can successfully weld 1/4" steel or not. I guess that it all depends on the brand of the welder, the preparation of the metal (including beveling), and the skill level of the operator. I have welded up to 3/16" thick steel, but only with careful preparation. I personally would be afraid to try 1/4" steel, except with practice pieces.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #73
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason280 View Post
...You simply can't get full penetration, even with .035" flux core on a dedicated 120v 30a breaker...and tie downs on an equipment trailer is not where I'd want partial weld penetration.
Part A: .030 flux core gives more penetration, a more even puddle, and a cleaner weld than .035 with the small machines.

Part B: He is working on a jeep, not an equipment trailer. Penetration is important- to a point. An adequate puddle is probably more critical as a good weld isn't going to peel off like masking tape.

I have a Lincoln 125 and I have yet to have a weld failure. Lots of trailer hitches, I have welded trailer springs to get by in a pinch, plenty of repairs and frame wraps on 4x4s over the years. But I wouldn't build an equipment trailer with it. Penetration or not on heavy metal the puddle width is just plain too narrow. While the "bigger" welders are nice, penetration lets people get away with poor welding technique because you can heat to overkill and cover it up. You can get a good weld out of a Lincoln 125.
Unread 11-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #74
amp713
Registered Whiskey Killer

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ash what did you do for your brake lines. Im gonna start on my 8.8 soon i hope but i really need to figure out the brake line dilema they cut all of them. Didnt even take anything just chopped them in half for some reason.

SourMash The YJ

EJS 2015
amp713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #75
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp713
Ash what did you do for your brake lines. Im gonna start on my 8.8 soon i hope but i really need to figure out the brake line dilema they cut all of them. Didnt even take anything just chopped them in half for some reason.
Are you talking the hard steel line on the axle that was cut or the soft lines to the calipers?
On mine the extended braided steel line coming from the jeep threaded directly into the distribution block on the axle hard line. The soft lines to the calipers obviously threaded right on to the hard line as well.
If your ends were cut off your hard lines I think your going to have to either get a replacement or you'll be doing some flaring.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.