8.8 Swap Done Cheap! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 8.8 Swap Done Cheap!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 10-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #46
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sitting flat is only part of the problem. The first set of these I got I looked at how it fit up and cut them down. I don't even like using them in the SOA configuration either. They do nothing to control axle wrap anyways. SUA suspensions are bias towards compression and really hobbled when it comes to droop as it is. This is with standard spring mounting. If you get creative with the hangers and shackle angles you can help droop. Compressing the springs flat will preload them and when it comes to droop you are trying to force the spring to wrap around a broader point that is already preloaded against this. I always cut them down height wise as well. Some units are like 2" tall. There really is no reason for that space SUA or SOA. I also round the ends up.

Unread 10-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #47
Day215
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
Sitting flat is only part of the problem. The first set of these I got I looked at how it fit up and cut them down. I don't even like using them in the SOA configuration either. They do nothing to control axle wrap anyways. SUA suspensions are bias towards compression and really hobbled when it comes to droop as it is. This is with standard spring mounting. If you get creative with the hangers and shackle angles you can help droop. Compressing the springs flat will preload them and when it comes to droop you are trying to force the spring to wrap around a broader point that is already preloaded against this. I always cut them down height wise as well. Some units are like 2" tall. There really is no reason for that space SUA or SOA. I also round the ends up.
Can anyone suggest a good length to trim the perches down to?
Day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #48
sardog211
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It would depend on your perch I got a set from eBay and they were too high we cut them down with a plasma cutter to regain some lift, as long as you dot cut it to close to the you should be set. Make sure you cut them even on both perches.
sardog211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #49
Day215
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It's not the shoulder height, I'm talking about the overall length. The current perches are 8", I was going to trim them down to 4 1/2"
Day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #50
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

At least factory length. ive wanted to experiment with that myself.
Unread 10-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #51
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The perches on the D35 setup are 4" long.

The spring plates from RuffStuff that I used are 4 1/2" along the flat surface. I went with 4 1/2" for the perches as well, seems to be just fine.

See my swap thread in sig for details.

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

Feetwet's Ford 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install

AX5 Output Shaft Seal Replacement

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Feetwet is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #52
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, update on the axle.

I drive it 120 miles on the highway without a hitch, although I did find a small leak from the axle tube seal. The next day I beat three crap out of it for 7 hours on the trail without fail.

After all this, I found absolutely no vibrations or binding from my drive shaft and as far as I could tell, my flex wasn't limited at all from the perches. I'm very happy with how everything preformed and will be making no changes besides an upgraded diff cover.

This made me happy that I had made the swap :-)

ashland82391 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #53
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
This made me happy that I had made the swap :-)
You did a great job brother! Great job on doing it without too much $$$ too.

Lots of good advice on this thread. Advice that folks should follow. I didn't, just out of cave man dumbness.

A SUA YJ is a pretty forgiving suspension setup. I screwed up my pinion angle double, two different ways. I welded the perches on at the angle you should use for CV/SYE, but I still run the slip yoke. I also forgot to take off the degree shims, so my perches were set for that. Then I broke a leaf spring pin on the trail and lost a degree shim, so I drove it home from Tennessee to Ohio with one side shimmed and one side not. Once I got home I pulled the other shim, so now my pinion is at a random angle that is way too low. The driveshaft is fine.

A SUA YJ just doesn't have that much suspension travel, so as long as things are somewhat in the ballpark at ride height, it might not matter. Also when the springs try to wrap, the pinion points higher, so mine might be at the perfect angle when it counts LOL Who knows.

As for the spring perch length, the advice on your thread is also good advice. However, in practice I think that the springs will get flattened anyway. I ran SUA with the Dana 35 perches, and when you hit the trails a lot, the springs try to wrap, and get flattened out. I am running SOA perches SUA now on my Dana 44, and switched springs. They are exactly as flat as the Dana 35 ones were. I think it is the nature of the YJ springs, they are flexy which is cool, but when you pound on them month after month they will try to wrap, and flatten out.

My point is, by all means do things the right way. If it isn't perfect, the SUA leaf spring setup is probably okay anyway.

I am starting to look into running Waggy springs on the rear of my rig, I need a little height, and a stronger leaf pack.

Great work, now go enjoy your Jeep! 2.5L of fury is the way to go
Unread 10-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #54
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post

You did a great job brother! Great job on doing it without too much $$$ too.

Lots of good advice on this thread. Advice that folks should follow. I didn't, just out of cave man dumbness.

A SUA YJ is a pretty forgiving suspension setup. I screwed up my pinion angle double, two different ways. I welded the perches on at the angle you should use for CV/SYE, but I still run the slip yoke. I also forgot to take off the degree shims, so my perches were set for that. Then I broke a leaf spring pin on the trail and lost a degree shim, so I drove it home from Tennessee to Ohio with one side shimmed and one side not. Once I got home I pulled the other shim, so now my pinion is at a random angle that is way too low. The driveshaft is fine.

A SUA YJ just doesn't have that much suspension travel, so as long as things are somewhat in the ballpark at ride height, it might not matter. Also when the springs try to wrap, the pinion points higher, so mine might be at the perfect angle when it counts LOL Who knows.

As for the spring perch length, the advice on your thread is also good advice. However, in practice I think that the springs will get flattened anyway. I ran SUA with the Dana 35 perches, and when you hit the trails a lot, the springs try to wrap, and get flattened out. I am running SOA perches SUA now on my Dana 44, and switched springs. They are exactly as flat as the Dana 35 ones were. I think it is the nature of the YJ springs, they are flexy which is cool, but when you pound on them month after month they will try to wrap, and flatten out.

My point is, by all means do things the right way. If it isn't perfect, the SUA leaf spring setup is probably okay anyway.

I am starting to look into running Waggy springs on the rear of my rig, I need a little height, and a stronger leaf pack.

Great work, now go enjoy your Jeep! 2.5L of fury is the way to go
Thanks!
Unread 10-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #55
remmons
Senior moments member.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
I used the same perches for my SUA 8.8 swap and didn't cut them, what could be the consequences?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
If you used SOA perches for an SUA application You will do a few things:
1 is to flatten out your springs.
Another and perhaps the biggest consequence is the loss of lift.

This is the flatten out part. If I were to tighten the ubolts here, the spring arch will be affected, flatten.

This is the loss of lift part. You can see how far the spring is from the axle. That is negative lift.

This is the modded perch. Do yourself a favor...get the right perch for the application. I didn't and spend a good effort modding the SOA perch for SUA.
What he said.

A lot of it can depend on how much arch that you have on your springs too. If you're running near flat springs, you may never have any issues. But if you have any noticeable arch, then either you'll develop flat springs (@the pads) or they will never fully seat.

I could not find exactly what I'm looking for a demonstration, but when I was looking for some 8.8 perches for my YJ, two options have always encountered, and that was if I was doing a SUA or an SOA, (the spring perches were always shorter for a SUA).
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-498...-swap-kit.html
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #56
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well I cut my long perches down to 4" they were 8" before.

I hope my springs don't stay flattened.
Unread 10-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #57
95yj0645
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Kind of irrelevant, but I noticed that it looks like you were using a harbor freight welder? I have their 90 amp wire welder and it works great for piddly things. Which model were you using?
95yj0645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #58
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95yj0645 View Post
Kind of irrelevant, but I noticed that it looks like you were using a harbor freight welder? I have their 90 amp wire welder and it works great for piddly things. Which model were you using?
It's the bigger one that uses the 220 plug. Not sure what model because it's my grand fathers. I was using gas as well.
Unread 10-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #59
95yj0645
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That was my next question! Because I don't have a heavy duty welder yet and have been looking for one specifically for building/fixing jeep stuff....
95yj0645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #60
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95yj0645 View Post
That was my next question! Because I don't have a heavy duty welder yet and have been looking for one specifically for building/fixing jeep stuff....
I haven't had any problems with it so far and the welds come out pretty good.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.