8.8 Swap Done Cheap! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 8.8 Swap Done Cheap!

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 10-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #31
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
You don't have to buy a $400+ brand new CV style shaft. You can simply go to the junkyard and pick up a Cherokee XJ front driveshaft. Hop onto google, find a local driveline shop and go have the XJ front shaft shortened.

XJ front driveshaft is CV and can be used in the rear of the YJ, just needs to be shortened and balanced.
I have a writeup on using an XJ front DS as the rear of a YJ - in general, it's not something that I recommend. Check with your local shops first to confirm the shorten and balance price.

XJ Driveshaft in Rear YJ

Unread 10-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #32
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
I have a writeup on using an XJ front DS as the rear of a YJ - in general, it's not something that I recommend. Check with your local shops first to confirm the shorten and balance price.

XJ Driveshaft in Rear YJ
Great writup btw!

Just currious why you wouldn't recommend it? I have one in my jeep with 36" tires and a detroit, havn't had an issue thus far. The OD of the shaft tubing its self is a little thin, i'll give you that, but other than that, what is the issue? Using a SYE // XJ shaft is certainly better than running as much lift as the OP has with NO SYE at all.

I ruined 3 stock YJ driveshafts before I got it through my head that you simply cant run a lifted jeep with such a short driveshaft on stock (slip in the tcase) equipment.

I have 2 XJ shafts cut down, using one full-time and the other is a spare.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #33
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just don't recommend it based on the costs involved - it may not save any money. I love the idea of reusing parts. It mainly depends on the cost of your local shop and the condition of the centering ball and u-joints.
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #34
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
I just don't recommend it based on the costs involved - it may not save any money. I love the idea of reusing parts. It mainly depends on the cost of your local shop and the condition of the centering ball and u-joints.
Fair enough. Good info.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #35
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy68 View Post
Great write-up

Now that I have 33's I really need to do this. I have a D30 with 4:10 gears waiting in the garage to match the 8.8 I am getting.

Where did you get the shock mounts? How did you decide where to place them?

Any advice on setting up the brakes?

Thanks.
I reused the shock mounts. Just cut them off the d35. When I placed them I just knew they needed to be 2" inside from the perches and eye balled the rest. The turned out perfect.
ashland82391 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #36
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwrangler View Post
According to the Tom Woods website (http://www.4xshaft.com/driveline101.asp), your driveshaft angle is set up for a CV shaft, not a stock shaft. The two ujoint angles are supposed to be equal or "phased".

I find it interesting that you have no vibs.
I don't know. I've been running this kind of pinion angle with the stock shaft for awhile and only had problems when I dropped my pinion back down. I ended up getting worse vibes, resulting in a pinion bating going out.

I'm sure the tom woods guys know what they are talking about but all I can say is this setup is working just fine for me so far. Although, I do plan on the sye in the future.
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #37
djwrangler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
I don't know. I've been running this kind of pinion angle with the stock shaft for awhile and only had problems when I dropped my pinion back down. I ended up getting worse vibes, resulting in a pinion bating going out.

I'm sure the tom woods guys know what they are talking about but all I can say is this setup is working just fine for me so far. Although, I do plan on the sye in the future.
Im getting ready to do my 8.8 in a few weeks and was just pointing it out to you from the research I've done. I guess if it works for you, then run it. At least you're already set up for the SYE in the future
djwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #38
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwrangler View Post

Im getting ready to do my 8.8 in a few weeks and was just pointing it out to you from the research I've done. I guess if it works for you, then run it. At least you're already set up for the SYE in the future
yessir!
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #39
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post

ubolts, center pins, spring perches, and spring plates

Those spring plates appear to be those that are used for a SOA conversion, due to their longer length to reduce axle-wrap. The SUA conversion perches are typically shorter so that they don't flatten out your springs. Did you cut them down or did you leave them full length?

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #40
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post

Those spring plates appear to be those that are used for a SOA conversion, due to their longer length to reduce axle-wrap. The SUA conversion perches are typically shorter so that they don't flatten out your springs. Did you cut them down or did you leave them full length?
Left them full length.
Unread 10-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #41
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Update: drove the Jeep 120 miles hi way today with no problems.
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #42
coynea
1993 YJ Wrangler 

None of the pics are loading for me... it just shows the photobucket logo
coynea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #43
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
I used the same perches for my SUA 8.8 swap and didn't cut them, what could be the consequences?
Unread 10-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #44
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you used SOA perches for an SUA application You will do a few things:
1 is to flatten out your springs.
Another and perhaps the biggest consequence is the loss of lift.

This is the flatten out part. If I were to tighten the ubolts here, the spring arch will be affected, flatten.

This is the loss of lift part. You can see how far the spring is from the axle. That is negative lift.

This is the modded perch. Do yourself a favor...get the right perch for the application. I didn't and spend a good effort modding the SOA perch for SUA.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #45
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am also running soa perches sua and have no issues. They sat flat on the springs even before tightening the u bolts. I think it depends on the springs.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.