Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

8.8 rear end

2K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  bruinjeeper 
#1 ·
I have a friend that bought a 2000 4 cyl 2 wheel drive Ford Ranger pickup that came out of SC for the motor. Nice clean truck except it got hit in the passenger door and totaled. It still drives though and rather well too. I'm wondering, is the rear end out of this truck the right one that is used to install in the Wrangler? Would like to use it if it is. Absolutely NO rust on it! Painted it would look NOS!
Thanks!

PS what should I be paying for it?

#4 ·
Most often the 8.8 was on rangers with a 4.0, the 4 poppers normally got the 7.5 though some did come with the 8.8 so you need to check
As shaggyjim says, the explorer has the stronger axle. The ranger axle isn't really a weak axle, but if you have a choice, go for the explorer version.

#7 ·
Provided it is in fact an 8.8, and also that it has the correct gears for your use then $100 would be a good price. I think the Rangers had drum brakes, but I could be wrong on that. Either way, the 28 spline 8.8 is stronger than a D44.

Think about the mods you have planned for your Jeep. If bigger tires are in its future, then you would probably be better off finding a 31 spline Explorer axle with 4.10 gears and disk brakes, and LSD if you want it. The cost of regearing the 28 spline axle would flush any initial pervceived savings from the $100 you paid for the axle.

Also consider what type of wheeling you do. If you do, or plan to do hardcore wheeling then the 31 spline would be the best bet.

This link might help you locate an Explorer axle within reasonable distance to you too.
http://car-part.com/

#11 ·
timatoe said:
I agree with Joe, I'd hold off and find an exploder one.
X2, I forgot to mention mines an explorer 8.8 too.

#14 ·
Thanks guys that's the info I was looking for. it's the kind of thing if it was a good deal and being in front of me I would scoop it. By the way swapping to disk brakes must mean you have to do something with the brake system to make it compatible with 4 wheel disc?

#15 ·
You'd think so... but for an odd reason the YJ braking system seems to work well the explorer discs (from what i have researched). Obviously upgrading your booster and master cylinder would be preferable.

But, like i said - it will work with your stock setup as I've gathered (correct me if i am wrong anyone)

#19 ·
When I installed a disk brake Versailles 9" in my mustang, (Back when rear disks were a 'wow' factor) the disk/drum master worked fine. On that the parking brake locked the caliper, it wasn't the disk + drum style the 8.8 uses, which is kind of weak in my opinion. When I swapped to the explorer 8.8 disk rear on my ranger, I used a line lock for a parking brake because the drums didn't seem to hold as well as I liked. For parking the mechanical line lock (ball valve style) works best because there's no power draw. A draw back is that it's hydraulic and may bleed back, so it's best used as short term parking, I wouldn't consider it for a couple days on a hill.

#23 ·
You'd just have to fab something up. I did. Whatever SYE kit I had (forgot, years ago) had a steel bearing retainer. I just cut up and welded the right parts of the brake bracket (the black arms) to that steel retainer (the chocolate brown ring). Unfortunately the $150 Tom Wood kit I used is no longer offered, but another place sells it now. I looked into it a few months ago for another guy here on JF, have it written here someplace.

[Just checked: One place is partsmike.com, though they don't seem to have a more generic kit for fabbers, just an Atlas version for too much money.]

#24 ·
JeeperDon said:
I didn't want to mess with the main brakes hydraulics, so I went went with this as a better parking brake.
That's very cool Don! Would you be willing to start a new thread on this? 👍👍👍

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.