8.8, Which one do I need?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 8.8, Which one do I need??

Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 99551 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved d

Unread 10-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
skipilot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

8.8, Which one do I need??

Okay so I've been calling the wrecking yards to find a 8.8 for my 92 yj. Which 8.8 do I need and from what year and make will work the best. I would like to find one with 4.10 gears already in it. I have the 3 speed auto trans and am gonna run 33's. Originally I thought I might go with 4.56 gears but I think that is gonna be too low for freeway driving.

skipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
Allen52105
1993 YJ Wrangler 

preferably 95 or newer explorer..that way you get the disc brakes.... you will be wanting one out of a V8 with a tow package. I believe the Eddie B. editions have that. another item on that you might be needing to know is if you are planning a locker in the rear. If you are you will want a open diff becuase if the axle has a limited slip you would have to buy a whole new carrier in order to put a locker in the axle...just food for thought.
Unread 10-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You only need the open carrier if you're putting in a lunch box type locker, like an Aussie. Full lockers like the Detroit, OX, and ARB all replace the carrier anyhow.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.