8.8 / LSD issue - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-15-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

8.8 / LSD issue

I stopped driving the Jeep a few days ago because I felt a drag on the way home from school one evening. It wasn't the front brakes, because it wasn't pulling to one side.

Anyway, with my busy school schedule I finally had time tonight to get under the Jeep and do some diagnosing. I tightened the oil pan bolts, because a few were loose and it looked like they were leaking. I found a LOT of ATF all over everything rear of the transfer case. It was leaking out of the speedo gear housing. The housing had shifted and the gear got chewed up (I installed a new gear a couple weeks ago). I re-installed it properly, filled the almost empty transfer case back up with ATF, removed my front drive shaft (needs to be replaced), and drove it down the street. Something is still dragging.

I checked the front wheels, they spin fine. The rear wheels, however......... the passenger side wheel spins okay, but does not spin the driver's side wheel at all. The driver's side wheel does spin the passenger side wheel, but it is very difficult to rotate and makes a metallic grating noise when I rotate it by hand.

The speedo gear housing is still leaking. Need a new o-ring, I bet. Anyone got any ideas on the axle? I think something is wrong with the carrier or the bearings, but I don't have time to open up the axle just to take a look. I am doing 80+ hours a week between welding school and work. I HATE driving my Blazer. Please help me figure out what is wrong with the Jeep so I can drive my baby again.

EDIT: I heard an odd sound like something shifting under the Jeep on two separate occasions. Once was going over a speed bump. I believe it was loose skid plate bolts, but not positive. I also heard a pinging sound, and THOUGHT something had either fallen off the Jeep, or a rock had flown out of the tire tread. The ping happened shortly before I started feeling the drag, but at the time I didn't connect the two.
Is it possible that one or both of the LSD springs snapped or came out of the carrier? That could account for drag, but doesn't explain why it would only be on one side.

100 Characters is not enough to have an interesting/relevant signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-15-2015, 11:43 PM
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Since you can't tear it apart at the moment to check it out I'll make a SWAG. It sounds like it might be the drivers side axle bearing.

As you stated, spinning the passenger side wheel has no effect on the drivers side, but when you spin the drivers side it is difficult to rotate and makes a metallic grinding noise but it does spin the passenger side wheel. That would tend to indicate a smoked axle bearing, which may very well have enough resistance that the lsd can't turn it; rather the clutches, especially if worn, are slipping rather than gripping.

Edit: This is, of course, barring any type of potential freak anomaly that may have occurred with your drivers side brake.

Last edited by cyoos; 09-15-2015 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Added potential cause of the condition
post #3 of 12 Old 09-15-2015, 11:58 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would tend to agree the problem is on the driver side in the rear, whether a bearing or a sticking caliper, it's on the driver side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-16-2015, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with the bearing diagnosis. I forgot to mention that I already ruled out the brakes. What is the procedure for replacing that bearing? Remove axle shaft, 3-jar puller? Is there a separate seal or is the bearing the seal?

Now I need to find a way to get it towed up to my dad's house so I can work on it in his garage after school one of these nights that I don't have to work.

Thanks for the help, guys.

post #5 of 12 Old 09-16-2015, 08:44 PM
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
What is the procedure for replacing that bearing? Remove axle shaft, 3-jar puller? Is there a separate seal or is the bearing the seal?

Thanks for the help, guys.
This is for a Mustang rear end I believe, but it's still an 8.8, and the only difference is the "wheel Sensor" for the ABS.

At step 8, you might find it beneficial to pop the old seal out before trying to remove the bearing.

http://diyford.com/ford-8-8-inch-axl...ide-step-step/

A quick video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr9JXP6w1ko

And you're very welcome!
Have fun!
post #6 of 12 Old 09-16-2015, 08:45 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't replaced one myself, but this looks pretty informative...... https://youtu.be/Tr9JXP6w1ko

Quote:
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-16-2015, 08:46 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

HaHa, apparently we both posted the same links.

Quote:
post #8 of 12 Old 09-16-2015, 10:34 PM
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
HaHa, apparently we both posted the same links.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-17-2015, 09:39 AM
Randonexplosion
Deplorable

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Bearing puller and slide hammer. Both can be rented from Autozone. For the new ones they offer a "repair" bearing that has a built in seal, is bigger and rides on a slightly different part of the axle shaft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-17-2015, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys.

I got out of school a little early this afternoon, so I stopped at Napa and bought a new bearing and some gear oil. When I got home, I couldn't find my three-jaw puller, so I had my wife - who was out - go rent me a slide hammer while I disassembled the axle.

I had the pumpkin drained and the axle pin removed. I removed the wheel and brake caliper, then tapped the rotor off. As soon as the rotor came off, a few big chunks of parking brake shoe fell out. By big, I mean one whole shoe and half of the other one.

So, that was the problem. Somehow the parking brake shoes failed horribly while I was driving... and no, I wasn't driving with the parking brake on.

Jeep is driveable again. Thanks guys.

post #11 of 12 Old 09-17-2015, 10:09 PM
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Thanks guys.

I got out of school a little early this afternoon, so I stopped at Napa and bought a new bearing and some gear oil. When I got home, I couldn't find my three-jaw puller, so I had my wife - who was out - go rent me a slide hammer while I disassembled the axle.

I had the pumpkin drained and the axle pin removed. I removed the wheel and brake caliper, then tapped the rotor off. As soon as the rotor came off, a few big chunks of parking brake shoe fell out. By big, I mean one whole shoe and half of the other one.

So, that was the problem. Somehow the parking brake shoes failed horribly while I was driving... and no, I wasn't driving with the parking brake on.

Jeep is driveable again. Thanks guys.
I don't think that's an all too uncommon condition with the parking brake shoes if they're pretty old. When I finally got around to tearing mine down the shoes on one side came out in pieces, and I seem to recall more than one thread on one of the explorer or ranger forums that discussed it too.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-18-2015, 05:14 AM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmm, mine are likely like that too. I drove my kid 9 miles to school one day with the brake on (yeah they hold that good) didn't realize it till I got off the highway and could smell it.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.