8.8 Gear Oil Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 8.8 Gear Oil Question

Save 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-15-2014, 12:32 AM   #1
BrandonYJReed
1990 YJ Wrangler 

8.8 Gear Oil Question

For those of you guys running 8.8's in a stock wheelbase jeep, how much gear oil do you put in your rear? I ask because in most of our cases we have a higher than average pinion angle. So I wasn't sure if the stock 8.8 spec would be enough fluid to lube the pinion well enough cause it being higher. Any opinions? How much do you guys run? And any preference on weigh/brand? And I also have a L/S, do you run the oil with friction modifier or add your own?

-1999 XJ, 4.0, AW4, lifted 4.5", JK Rubi take offs.
BrandonYJReed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 12:56 AM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I use this stuff

Fill it through the abs hole in the top til it comes out the fill hole in the solid cover. Then I give it two more pumps and call it good.
Unread 02-15-2014, 04:15 AM   #3
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I ask because in most of our cases we have a higher than average pinion angle. So I wasn't sure if the stock 8.8 spec would be enough fluid to lube the pinion well enough cause it being higher. Any opinions? How much do you guys run? And any preference on weigh/brand? And I also have a L/S, do you run the oil with friction modifier or add your own?
I think the FSM calls for around 2.2 quarts of 75-90 plus roughly 4 oz of friction modifier for the the LSD, at least if memory serves me correctly. I've only run one 8.8 with the LSD, but I did add the friction modifier when I added gear oil (picked up whatever Advance sold at the time). As far as adding "more" due to the increased pinion angle in Jeeps, I never have. I spoke with one of the more well-known 8.8 builders here on the east coast, and they told me there is no reason to run more than what is recommended in the FSM....the axle, even with the increased angle, is still able to fully lubricate the pinion gear. I know some people on the forum have run a lot more, so much so they have overflow issues through the vent tubing, but not me.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 06:05 AM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I use this stuff
Fill it through the abs hole in the top til it comes out the fill hole in the solid cover. Then I give it two more pumps and call it good.
I use 80W-90 as well, minus the friction additive. I usually get the cheapest stuff at the parts store.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
BrandonYJReed
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
I use this stuff Fill it through the abs hole in the top til it comes out the fill hole in the solid cover. Then I give it two more pumps and call it good.
Last time I filled it that much it started leaking out of the top of my vent hose when I would drive around.

-1999 XJ, 4.0, AW4, lifted 4.5", JK Rubi take offs.
BrandonYJReed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
jamnjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I typically put around 4 quarts in my 8.8 (22 degree pinion with SOLID diff cover). Oil still not close to the stock fill plug and have not had any issues with oil spitting out. I have found that using 75-140w keeps the locker quieter also.
Unread 02-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonYJReed View Post
Last time I filled it that much it started leaking out of the top of my vent hose when I would drive around.
Catch can will fix that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.