8.8 explorer axle shafts ->discs in drums 1/8" difference - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 8.8 explorer axle shafts ->discs in drums 1/8" difference

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #16
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
Drum brake 8.8 explorer axle shafts are 1/8" longer on each side than disc brake axle shafts. Fact.

With such a minute difference, I would think you could utilize disc brake axle shafts as spares right?
I'd assume that prolonged use would be bad because the drum wouldnt fully cover the shoe and create a groove?

Just food for thought...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
Hmm, yea, the shorter length could make C-clips an issue or maybe require the s-spring removal if LSD.

strength is definately not an issue.

I was thinking of the drum brakes the wrong way, they may actually hit the backing plate without a spacer.
Interesting topic. I honestly didn't know there was a difference. I have the drum 8.8, but I also have a set of disc shafts I have kept around for spares 'just in case'. So now you've got me wondering if they will work in my case???

Another question... at which end are they longer>? The spline side from the C-clip grove, or the C-clip grove to the flange?

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.