8.8 Disc to Drums - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 8.8 Disc to Drums

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 08-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

8.8 Disc to Drums

I didn't find much on this but I'm thinking about swapping my 8.8 disc to drums. Mainly because the parking brake is crap with the disc and I don't think I will lose any stopping power with drums. I also think it will cost about as much for junkyard parts as the driveline disc brake setup. I was just wondering if I could bolt up a drum setup to my current disc 8.8 axle housing?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4
I didn't find much on this but I'm thinking about swapping my 8.8 disc to drums. Mainly because the parking brake is crap with the disc and I don't think I will lose any stopping power with drums. I also think it will cost about as much for junkyard parts as the driveline disc brake setup. I was just wondering if I could bolt up a drum setup to my current disc 8.8 axle housing?
I believe yes. The housings are the same. But I think you'll also need axles out of the drum 8.8.
Unread 08-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
langwilliams
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I converted a drum fox body mustang from drum to disk so I guess it works both ways. have you looked into a drive shaft/pinion E brake kit?
langwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Some day I'm going to solve this problem. Why does the e brake work fine when the axle is in the Explorer, a bigger and heavier vehicle, but suck when it's in a YJ?

I wonder if the leverage design on the pedal is different?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
I believe yes. The housings are the same. But I think you'll also need axles out of the drum 8.8.
In that case I'll snag some parts and see. I think the shafts are 1/8" difference in length but I think that may be negligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by langwilliams View Post
I converted a drum fox body mustang from drum to disk so I guess it works both ways. have you looked into a drive shaft/pinion E brake kit?
Yes but I think I can get all the parts for the same (or cheaper) price as the drums which are plentiful. I will also need to modify my NP231 output yoke and get a flange adapter for the driveshaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Some day I'm going to solve this problem. Why does the e brake work fine when the axle is in the Explorer, a bigger and heavier vehicle, but suck when it's in a YJ?

Let me know when you do. Are you still using the 8.8 e-brake or do you have drums? I put mine in gear and turn the tires into the curb because it makes me nervous even on the slightest incline. I can continue to tighten the e-brake tensioner but I think it's a losing battle.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 08-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
Jeepsr4me

I have not had that issue of the Ebrake. Either with a TJ or YJ. And I like to stop on steep drops and inclines.
I reuse the stock explorer cables and splice in with the jeep stuff.

Marking this for later since I sold the last jeep with 8.8 and will see how the next time goes.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post

It's the tires I think. Most people doing this have 35's. I left the discs in my 8.8 but completely gutted the Ford parking brake system and cables. Went with this. I used an overhead garage door cable pulley on a bracket welded to the side frame to turn the pedal motion 90°. Now it's 4.88 times (axle ratio) as strong as anything at the wheel. It's a Tom Wood kit.

Unread 08-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Im frowned upon in the 8.8 swap world because I purchased mine out of a 94 (with the drum brakes). Regurding the stopping power I would be surprised if you louse any. When I first drove with my 8.8 compared to the stock D35 breaks it was a huge difference. I haven't yet set up my e-brake (Florida is flat anyway). for now I just carry tire chucks whenever Im parked on a hill.
Unread 08-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #9
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
It's the tires I think. Most people doing this have 35's. I left the discs in my 8.8 but completely gutted the Ford parking brake system and cables. Went with this. I used an overhead garage door cable pulley on a bracket welded to the side frame to turn the pedal motion 90°. Now it's 4.88 times (axle ratio) as strong as anything at the wheel. It's a Tom Wood kit.

Don,

How much did that set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 08-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the kit I started with. You need to have a flange type t-case output, not a yoke. I already have the flange style with my Tom Wood driveshaft and SYE kit. You also might have to fab the mount part on your own. In my case, the two black arms (one visible) were fabbed by me and welded to the rust colored round bearing holder of the SYE. I've had this in service for 8+ years I think. It has huge holding power, more than any other parking brake I've had on any vehicle.
Unread 08-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #11
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
Here is the kit I started with. You need to have a flange type t-case output, not a yoke. I already have the flange style with my Tom Wood driveshaft and SYE kit. You also might have to fab the mount part on your own. In my case, the two black arms (one visible) were fabbed by me and welded to the rust colored round bearing holder of the SYE. I've had this in service for 8+ years I think. It has huge holding power, more than any other parking brake I've had on any vehicle.
Gracias good sir.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.