8.25 in YJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 8.25 in YJ?

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 05-20-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
Matt5-9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

8.25 in YJ?

I am getting a FREE Chrysler 8.25 tomorrow, and was wondering why I haven't seen this in any YJ's really? I am still fairly new to the Jeep thing so any input is appreciated. I see it as a better replacement to the D35 that I have, and with a price tag of 0.00 dollars, can't be all bad right?

Anyhow, like I said, input greatly appreciated all.

Josh

Matt5-9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:52 AM   #2
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm sure if more people got them free you would see it more. but when spending cash you might as well go with something better

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:57 AM   #3
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Depends on which 8.25 you get. The 97+ (And very rare late 96 XJs) ones have 29 spline axles and are said to be closer to the D44 in strength, where as the 27 spline axles are stronger than the D35, but nothing to get too excited about.

IMO if its a 27 spline, sell it and use the cash to pick up a stronger, more favorable axle like the 8.8 or D44. If its the 29 spline, then for a price of $0 it would probably be worth the swap.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 02:33 AM   #4
warrenpeace24
1999 WJ 

IMO its not an upgrade at all. Basically swapping out your d-35 with something that goes out every 50,000 miles. Just read consumer reports.
warrenpeace24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 05:18 AM   #5
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've heard of people swapping them in out of cherokees when they're free and the same gear ratio. Now, that gear ratio part is the key here. If you have to spend money on regearing this axle it would be much better to just find an 8.8 or a D44 to regear, the end result would be much better. You would be safer wheeling with an 8.25 in the rear rather than your D35, especially since you have the 2.5L.

Keep in mind that this swap is less favorable not because the axle self destructs or anything (The 96+ is actually just below a D44 in strength), but because there is very little aftermarket support for it. Very few companies make lockers for the 8.25, Aussie Locker does but that is simply a lunchbox locker and companies like ARB do not have aftermarket support for the 8.25.

So the decision is yours really. You can run 33's on an open 8.25 no problem but if you ever decided to go larger or wanted to lock the axle I would just save for a D44 or Ford 8.8 were there is much more aftermarket support. (Not to mention both axles are stronger, D35 < 8.25 < D44 < 8.8)

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
I've heard of people swapping them in out of cherokees when they're free and the same gear ratio. Now, that gear ratio part is the key here. If you have to spend money on regearing this axle it would be much better to just find an 8.8 or a D44 to regear, the end result would be much better. You would be safer wheeling with an 8.25 in the rear rather than your D35, especially since you have the 2.5L.

Keep in mind that this swap is less favorable not because the axle self destructs or anything (The 96+ is actually just below a D44 in strength), but because there is very little aftermarket support for it. Very few companies make lockers for the 8.25, Aussie Locker does but that is simply a lunchbox locker and companies like ARB do not have aftermarket support for the 8.25.

So the decision is yours really. You can run 33's on an open 8.25 no problem but if you ever decided to go larger or wanted to lock the axle I would just save for a D44 or Ford 8.8 were there is much more aftermarket support. (Not to mention both axles are stronger, D35 < 8.25 < D44 < 8.8)

Jake
Pretty much nailed it. Very weak aftermarket for this axle and even the 29 spline your going to max out its reliable limit with 35" tires. If the ratios right and its 29 spline for free. Probably would be worth throwing in therir for no more than the price of an install kit. Otherwise i'd get an 8.8, 44 or 9" and let it slide and do this swap job once and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
H3RTCH
Live Free or Die.

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
Actually there is decent aftermarket for the axle. At least this kit anyway.

4WDSU's install of Grande 30 and 8.25

Consisting of an ARB locker and Alloy USA's axle shafts, this kit increases the splines to 30, and increases shaft diameter from 1.16 to 1.34. Not trying to start a fight, just letting everybody know.

H3RTCH is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
warrenpeace24
1999 WJ 

you could probably find a pretty cheap dana 44 and have a lot of aftermarket support. Look at junk yards and stuff. I know that some Cherokee chiefs have a d-44 that fits right under a jeep, also a 74+ international scout II. I recently found a set with front discs for under 100 dollars. It also has trac lock front and rear.

I really dont care for the 8.25 but smithy makes a valid point, but I also think if they were as strong as stated i'd see alot more of them running on the trail or being built.
warrenpeace24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

1 or 2 options is not significant aftermarket support guys. Check out the gearing options for that 8.25. How many different lockers for it? As for shaft diameter, Surely they are comparing it to the 27 spline version and not the 29 spline. Spline count is usually closely associated with shaft diameter. that can not be much of an upgrade over the 29 spline version.

As for aftermarket support, the 9" ford can be upgraded to 35 0r 40 spline. 8.8 to 35 spline. Options for the 44 as well. and pretty much any ratio or locker manufacturer you want. THATS aftermarket support. For the money of that grande kit, i could build a killer version of any of these 3 axles that the grande 8.25 could never match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.