75-77 F150 Dana 44 front axle question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 75-77 F150 Dana 44 front axle question

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

75-77 F150 Dana 44 front axle question

Ok. I have a line on a 75-77 F150 Dana 44 front axle, but I'm concerned about the width and the bolt pattern. I have an 8.8 in the rear.

Question 1-

What are my options? I'm thinking either cut down the 44 to about 62" replace my 1 inch spacers in the 8.8 with some that match the 44 bolt pattern and get new rims. or cut down the 44 and get spacers for it that match the 8.8 (if they make any) and keep my rims. (I will also SOA and truss the 44 no matter what)

Question 2 -

Is there any issue with cutting down chromo axles? (I mean besides it being a shame).

Question 3 -

I don't want to go bigger than 37's (locked) Is there any chance that a 44 can take moderate abuse with that set-up without chromo shafts?

Having second thoughts....

Should I just get chromo shafts for my D-30, keep the same rims and accept the fact that I'll never go over 35's locked? That's not really cheap either. Dang it my pockets are already empty.

http://dirtyfabworks.com/gallery.htm
93YJfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
themonkeyman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What exactly is the question again?

I don;t know for sure, but I know some of the D44's has cast C's, and thus could not be cut off and reused... not sure if you're in that window, but just a thought.
themonkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

you can buy weld on c's for your hp44..... but unless you have a jig you better leave the narrowing to a qualified shop.

the 44 will hold up just fine with chromo shafts and good u joints....

if i were you i would narrow the 44 to match the width of the 8.8 so you could eliminate the need for spacers all together.

when you shorten your chromo shafts, keep in mind the splines only go so far.... you may run into an issue with the splines being too short after you shorten the axle shafts if you have to shorten them too much... keep that in mind as well. note, that's not a huge problem and could easily be overcome with some ingenuity and/or money
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2007, 06:55 AM   #4
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks man! Thats good to know. I don't suppose anyone knows if it matters if the axle came off of a vehicle with a full or part time t-case? Im guessing that if it is a part timer then there is a vacuum disco like the YJ. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Unread 01-18-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Big-n-Broke-YJ]
if i were you i would narrow the 44 to match the width of the 8.8 so you could eliminate the need for spacers all together.
QUOTE]
not possible for 2 reasons. after narrowing the 44 to under 60" wms not only is this too narrow for 37s but you will run into clearance problems for shocks and the like and the tires would be way too close to the body. it would be a waist of its potential to narrow it that much. more importantly with the current 8.8 he is going to need adapters. this is getting to the first question. no you cannot adapt the dana 44 to the bolt pattern of the 8.8. this is the problem with the 8.8 swap. the hub on the 44 wont allow for any smaller bolt patern then its 5 on 5.5. you could get the 8.8 flange redrilled for the better 5on 5.5 but you will still need spacers anyways as this axle assembly stock is way too narrow for 37s.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
drexelsteve
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93YJfalcon
Thanks man! Thats good to know. I don't suppose anyone knows if it matters if the axle came off of a vehicle with a full or part time t-case? Im guessing that if it is a part timer then there is a vacuum disco like the YJ. Can anyone shed some light on this?
It should have locking hubs if it was a parttime axle, fulltime didn't.
Unread 01-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #7
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexelsteve
It should have locking hubs if it was a parttime axle, fulltime didn't.
Oh. Ok, so if I want locking hubs (which I assume to be better/more desirable), then I want one from an F-150 with a part time t-case. I'm glad you told me that. The only one i've heard of lately would have been the wrong one.

Unread 01-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=fratis]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-n-Broke-YJ
QUOTE]
not possible for 2 reasons. after narrowing the 44 to under 60" wms not only is this too narrow for 37s but you will run into clearance problems for shocks and the like and the tires would be way too close to the body. it would be a waist of its potential to narrow it that much. more importantly with the current 8.8 he is going to need adapters. this is getting to the first question. no you cannot adapt the dana 44 to the bolt pattern of the 8.8. this is the problem with the 8.8 swap. the hub on the 44 wont allow for any smaller bolt patern then its 5 on 5.5. you could get the 8.8 flange redrilled for the better 5on 5.5 but you will still need spacers anyways as this axle assembly stock is way too narrow for 37s.
or instead of that, you could get the Superior Super 88 kit. the flanges are already drilled and set for both 5 on 4.5" and 5 on 5.5" so that would solve the rear issue, not to mention the kit eliminates the c-clips and widens the axle back out to about stock Dana 35 width.

Also by design, the front axle is supposed to be a little wider than the rear axle. this has to do with turning radius.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #9
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93YJfalcon
Oh. Ok, so if I want locking hubs (which I assume to be better/more desirable), then I want one from an F-150 with a part time t-case. I'm glad you told me that. The only one i've heard of lately would have been the wrong one.
Actually.....there are less moving/wear parts in drive flanges than locking hubs. If you find one with drive flanges....get it, throw in some locking hubs and use the flanges as spares.
Unread 01-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #10
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=92 Green YJ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis

or instead of that, you could get the Superior Super 88 kit. the flanges are already drilled and set for both 5 on 4.5" and 5 on 5.5" so that would solve the rear issue, not to mention the kit eliminates the c-clips and widens the axle back out to about stock Dana 35 width.

Also by design, the front axle is supposed to be a little wider than the rear axle. this has to do with turning radius.
this would be his best option.
Unread 01-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #11
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

just to start a online fight.....
a hp 30 with chromo shafts/rubicon outers and a selectable locker will hold up fine with upto a 37" tire. i personally know lots of guys running that setup with zero issues, and yes they are real wheelers to dont baby around.....
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2007, 07:04 PM   #12
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No fight here. That's exactly the type of info I'm looking to dredge up. I am going to wait on it though and see what else materializes. I haven't taken polishing the 30 off the table yet. I'm just trying to do my research so that as axles become available I will know wether I should be interested and decide what they're worth to me.

Unread 01-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #13
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

ill bite...but at the price of that you could build a nice 44. so why keep the weenie 30? btw why the rubicon outers?
Unread 01-18-2007, 08:01 PM   #14
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis
ill bite...but at the price of that you could build a nice 44. so why keep the weenie 30? btw why the rubicon outers?
larger u joints, i believe the same size as a 44!
for the price of a set of chromo's....i doubt you would be able to build a 44 for the same price.....
scott added the figures up for 30 spline chromo's, arb and gears....was a LOT cheaper than building a 44.
not sayin 44's are bad in any way, just my .02
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #15
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm supprised. I would have thought the 44 would be cheaper. At least just to make it work. Not talking about upgraded shafts or anything. Is it the steering that boosts the cost up so much. I was figuring it would run about $2000 to beef up my D30. Putting in a 44 really costs more than that?!? I guess if that is the case I'm going to focus on my HP D30.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.