7/8 Heim Steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 7/8 Heim Steering

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
jeepnbrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

7/8 Heim Steering

I've been running the Rugged Ridge steering kit with a Gopherit tie rod flip for about 2 years. All 4 of the rod ends are worn out. Rather than replace them I decided to upgrade to a Ruff Stuff 7/8 inch Heim steering kit.
HOLY CRAP this set up is beefy!!! Huge chromoly heims, 1.5 inch .25 wall tube, and stainless misalignment shims and spacers.

image-1315761512.jpg

Starting with the obvious I measured the length of the current tie rod center to center of the bolts. The first tube was cut to length and then the threaded spuds were welded in.

image-188046602.jpg

Here's the tie rod ready to go.

image-1852965765.jpg

The heims are mounted with 3/4 inch bolts so both knuckles and the steering arm need to be drilled out. In my case, I just had to remove the Gopherit inserts from the knuckles and I already had the 3/4 inch holes. I used a 3/4 inch drill bit and slowly drilled out the steering arm.
The tie rod assembly was put in place above the knuckle and a measurement was taken to determine the length of the drag link. The drag link was then cut and the spuds welded in.
Here are some pics of everything installed.

image-4059520379.jpg

image-3881404976.jpg

image-3543773923.jpg

Everything is attached with 3/4 inch grade 8 hardware with nylock nuts and locktite. The bolts and nuts are not included from Ruff Stuff.
First test drive shows a noticeable difference in the steering. The dead spot due to the roll in the stock tie rod is gone. These parts are so over built that I will definatly break something else before the Ruff Stuff parts give way. These appear to be very high quality parts and an excellent upgrade. Total time to install including cutting, welding, and bolting on was about 2 hours. If your looking for a steering upgrade and have access to a welder I would highly recommend contacting Ruff Stuff.

4.0, AT, 3.5 Fabtech, 1" SRS, 1" BL, 35x13.50x15 Toyo MT's, HP30, TJ shafts, Lockrite, 8.8, Power Trax No Slip, 4.11's, Warn bumpers, W8274, SYE, and a bunch of other stuff....
jeepnbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What was the cost out the door with the new hardware included? I have the RR HD set up and I'm starting to regret it severely.
Unread 01-29-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
jeepnbrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
What was the cost out the door with the new hardware included? I have the RR HD set up and I'm starting to regret it severely.
With freight and the forum discount it was $273.00 delivered to my door. I sent Dan a PM and he gave me a code for a 10% discount to use at checkout.
It was cheaper to by the tube from Ruff Stuff and have it shipped rather than buying from my local metal supplier.

4.0, AT, 3.5 Fabtech, 1" SRS, 1" BL, 35x13.50x15 Toyo MT's, HP30, TJ shafts, Lockrite, 8.8, Power Trax No Slip, 4.11's, Warn bumpers, W8274, SYE, and a bunch of other stuff....
Unread 01-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnbrett View Post
With freight and the forum discount it was $273.00 delivered to my door. I sent Dan a PM and he gave me a code for a 10% discount to use at checkout.
It was cheaper to by the tube from Ruff Stuff and have it shipped rather than buying from my local metal supplier.
Looks like I'll be returning my RR kit and finally getting something that works.
Unread 01-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

+ you can just pick it up, next time you're up this way.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
lobukjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What size is the through hole in the heims on the right?They look a bit smaller.I plan on doing this on my buid.I already have a 20ft. of stick of tubing.These are the same ends i've been looking at.
Unread 01-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
jeepnbrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobukjeep
What size is the through hole in the heims on the right?They look a bit smaller.I plan on doing this on my buid.I already have a 20ft. of stick of tubing.These are the same ends i've been looking at.
Both tie rod ends use a 3/4 inch hole. Both drag link ends use a 7/8 inch hole. The drag link uses mis alignment spacers because of the angle and more required movement than the tie rod The mis alignment spacers adapt the hole in the end to from 7/8 to 3/4.

Unread 01-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I like the looks of this kit a lot. One question though, in the picture above showing the passenger knuckle it looks like you have the big end of the misalignment spacer facing down for the drag link. Shouldn't the big end be facing up to keep your steering from coming apart if a heim fails?
scifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
jeepnbrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifone
I like the looks of this kit a lot. One question though, in the picture above showing the passenger knuckle it looks like you have the big end of the misalignment spacer facing down for the drag link. Shouldn't the big end be facing up to keep your steering from coming apart if a heim fails?
Ummmm..... Good call. I'll switch that. 👍

Unread 01-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a really nice setup, should hold up well to wheeling.

Nice Jeep too.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've been running my steering like this for a few years. It's alot stronger and durable than any tie rod end setup. The only thing I've been meaning todo is add a double sheer tab to the tops of the heims at the knuckles. But I havent had any issue with wallowing out the holes. You'll like it
Unread 02-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
95YJIL
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifone View Post
Can you explain this to me? I'm a noob trying to figure it all out and love a good lesson.
95YJIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

On the passenger side knuckle there are some funnel shaped spacers. The top spacer on the draglink needs to have the larger end at the top instead of the bottom where it is. The reason being if the heim were to fail the body of the heim and the joint inside it could separate and the head of the bolt isn't big enough to hold it together. If that happens the heim could come loose from where it is bolted onto the knuckle and you would lose the ability to steer. By placing the spacer with the big end up would prevent the steering from coming completely apart if it were to fail.

Clear as mud?
scifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
jeepnbrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is what it's supposed to look like. Big spacer on top.

image-2430636557.jpg

Unread 02-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you install heims correctly you would not have to worry about it coming loose. the insert part goes toward the in this case bottom. Solid part toward the bolt head. This just incase they where to fall apart that the solid part would not make it past the head of the bolt. In all reality there should be a metal loop that goes from the bottom of the bolt to just under the head of the bolt as a safety strap. This is on all heims single or doubled.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.