6cyl. Starts fine then dies? Whats the prob? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 6cyl. Starts fine then dies? Whats the prob?

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
brianOU
1988 YJ Wrangler 

6cyl. Starts fine then dies? Whats the prob?

I have an 88 yj 6 cyl. Has been running fine.. put new plugs, new dist. cap, new plug wires, complete tune up...

but not new rotor bug.. the engine wasnt running good and found that I needed a new rotor bug. so i thought that was my problem..

but it wasnt, if i pump the gas, it will crank and run perfect for about 3 seconds. then dies.. so i changed fuel filter, and the fuel pump is new.. still have the problem. all vaccum hoses look good.

it will run if i hold the gas pedal down, but it wont idle.

any ideas?

brianOU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked the fuel flow? Contributors to slow or blocked flow would be:
  • Plugged fuel filter,
  • Malfunctioning fuel pump,
  • Carb that needs cleaning - try a rebuild kit.
  • Fuel tank fuel input assembly - part of the sender unit & has a screen on it that can become plugged. You need to drop the tank to change or clean this.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
88TNSahara
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Check the choke assembly on the carb. The choke plate should be blocking off air flow when the engine is cold. On the stock carb, the plate should be in the horizontal position when cold. As the motor warms up, the plate should gradually open, allowing more air in, and the idle speed will begin to slow down. When fully warm, the choke plate should be vertical.
If your carb has an electric choke, check that the choke is closed before starting the engine when it's cold.
88TNSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
brianOU
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i was wondering about the choke.... the plate in the carb is at about 45 degree angle. and its not moving much. should it be totally horizontal (closed) when its not running? i cant get it to move..
brianOU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
88TNSahara
1988 YJ Wrangler 

the choke should be closed (horizontal) when the motor is cold, and should be open when the motor is hot (vertical).
If it's stuck at a 45* angle, sounds like it might be your problem.
I think the position of the plate when the motor is off depends on how warmed up it was when it was last shut off.
Is your choke electric or manual? If it's electric, try moving the plate with the ignition switched on.
88TNSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.