6 cyl tranny to a 4 cyl one??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 6 cyl tranny to a 4 cyl one???

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-27-2002, 03:45 PM   #1
dartboy

6 cyl tranny to a 4 cyl one???

Is it possible to bolt up a 4 cyl tranny to a 6 cyl engine. Guy I know has tranny problems. He has a 6, not sure if it is the 4,2 or the 4.0. Only tranny he has been able to locate is one from a 4 banger drive line. Will this work?

dartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2002, 04:12 PM   #2
jerrys yj

the question isnt if it will fit, but if it is strong enough for the I6. ive heard that it wouldnt be able to handle it. if i were you i would just save the hassel and find an ax-15. but who knows i may be wrong but am pretty sure im not. -jerry
-KC's on the windshild
personal quote:"it didnt look that deep dad, i swear!"(first time stuck in mud)
jerrys yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2002, 05:40 PM   #3
95yj-4 cyl

It won't work for 2 reasons (I'm sure about the 1st and heard about the 2nd). The 1st is because they have a different output shaft spline (21 vs 23), which also means the transfer case has to have a matching input shaft. The 2nd is they have a different bell housing pattern.
95 yj, 4 cyl, auto trans, 4:88 gears, detroit front locker, rear detroit with super 35 kit, short shaft conversion, 4" superlift, 32" superswamper radials
95yj-4 cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2002, 05:49 AM   #4
dartboy

Ok guys thank, I will let him know. Jeep Parts are hard to come by in our neck of the woods. Junk yards don't want to part them out.
dartboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.