6 cyl 90 wrangler idle problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 6 cyl 90 wrangler idle problems

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 04-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
chadless

6 cyl 90 wrangler idle problems

I picked up this 90 4.2 wrangler, and the carb is after market. This is what it looks like.

I think it is one of these two, I am not sure though.

Carburetors by Weber for Jeep Wrangler YJ

I am having problems with the idle. It seems to stall out at low RPMs. The jeep runs great at higher RPMs, just not so well at idle. It also sometimes dies after the engine starts up, but then starts up right away.

Any ideas would be helpful. I was thinking maybe the nutter fix, but my understanding is that is for the OE carb. I also saw this guys fix. But I don't know

Easy Fix for Jeep 258 Carter BBD Idle Problem - - Jeep at Off-Road.com

chadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well the carb may need to be tuned up/cleaned/rebuilt. there are many threads on the forums about tuning webers.

that being said, if the Nutter has not been done then you will need to do it even though you have a weber carb. that is because the computer is still controlling the timing and god knows what it is doing to it. Read up on the Nutter and get that done so that you have good timing and then you can go from there. also look into the "team rush" ignition upgrade on this forum and the CJ forum. early 80's CJ had virtuallt the same engine and you can get good tips from the CJ forum.
also research what old emissions components you can remove, right away I see the solenoids on the valve cover and the switches right behind there on the firewall can be the first to go .

read this site, you can learn what everything is to figure out what can go or stay:
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
chadless

thank you for the input. I figured out that the carb is actually a EMPI 32/36 X, not a weber. The thing is I have looked at the nutter, but I can't figure out whether its been done yet or not. I will look into getting rid of the vestigial equipment.
chadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

You may want to give your EGR a quick once-over and make sure it isn't open during idle. If you reach around behind it, you can feel the plunger. Make sure it moves freely and stays in the closed position at idle.

Just a thought, hope it helps!

Shawn

holley carb tuning

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.